Open source RPG Editor

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
zingo
Prole

Re: Open source RPG Editor

Post by zingo »

I hope you keep at it vico...even if there isn't a huge "demand" for what you are working on, it's always interesting and useful to see how different people approach similar concepts, and you'll learn a lot along the way. While I believe that any kind of "editor" can be done purely in Love2d, do whatever works best for you, and be open to at least some (constructive) criticism. There are so many individual components that comprise an "RPG", that creating a complete, cohesive editor would be quit a task, for beginner and expert alike. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor :)
Josepho
Prole

Post by Josepho »

Hi, im working on exactly the same thing for a couple of years right now, i do it on my spare time but hopefully i will release something during this year. The main difference, mine is not going to be open source.

Also it will allow the user to use whatever size of tile or any kind of tileset

I will first release the tile mapper alone i will post it when i got it completed. I will make a post when i have a project runnng on love exported by the tool.

OR maybe should i post it as a project on general as Vico did?
Follow me on twitter @josepho
zingo
Prole

Post by zingo »

That looks wonderful Josepho...reminds me a lot of the RPG Maker layout, which was always fun to use. I've been working on a (very) rudimentary map editor for myself, and constructed all the elements as self-contained "entities", to have more control over where, and how everything is rendered. I'd suggest posting your project on general, and would really enjoy watching it progress.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

I actually tried doing something like this in the past, with creating the RPG engine in Love, and then the editor (also in Love)...I hit a wall when it came to porting it to multiple OS's, and having everything I'd worked on (and was working and Mac and Linux) crash horribly on Windows, lol.

Now I have a general game engine I made myself for making RPG like games that works with TileD, and is not user friendly and pretty much only good for me, lol. But it helps me make my own games fairly quickly