LÖVE Jam 2023

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Positive07
Party member

LÖVE Jam 2023

Post by Positive07 »

Hey folks! I'll be hosting a new LÖVE Jam!

Jam starts on February 17th 12AM GMT+0 and ends on February 27th 9AM GMT+0.

Rules
  • Your game needs to be made with the LÖVE framework.
    If possible provide a .love file with the rest of your builds, and clearly state which version of LÖVE was used.
  • Notify about mature / sensitive content.
    If your game features such content you should have some warning in the description or when the game first loads up.
  • The game must be made during the jam.
    Existing basecode and libraries can be used. Games made before the jam are not basecode, and go against the spirit of the jam.
  • Assets must be made during the jam.
    Logo, intro and fonts are exceptions to this rule. If you do use existing assets you must state that in your game's description and credit the author! People voting should encourage assets made during the jam.
  • You can work alone or as a team. Find teammates in our Discord!
    There is no restriction on the number of members, but the more people, the harder it is to get organized, so 2/4 works best.
  • Do it for the fun and the experience.
    Even though the jam is rated, the most important thing is to enjoy the challenge.
  • The theme is optional.
    It will be provided as inspiration 1 day before the jam starts on Itch.io.
Tips
JOIN HERE!

We would love to see your game submission!
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Positive07
Party member

Re: LÖVE Jam 2023

Post by Positive07 »

The optional theme for the Jam has been announced!

This year the theme will be CONNECTION!

There is some time before the jam starts, so be sure to check out the itch.io page and

JOIN HERE!

Have fun!
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

Sadly in my current state I'll have to sit this one out, I but look forward to all the great entries!
Good luck to all who participate :ultrahappy:
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

Posted my submission to be played https://itch.io/jam/love2d-jam-2023/rate/1929096 and rated of course. Have fun! :)
It is about the moon and an incoming asteroid threat. Made with the help of g3d for 3D experience.
screenshot 230226-184947.png
screenshot 230226-184947.png (290.27 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
screenshot 230226-171714.png
screenshot 230226-171714.png (262.38 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Aww man, i wanted to try some but everything that looks interesting turns out to be a technical bummer.
Like this animal interogation thing, someone put a good amount of work in there, the game looks interesting, but the cursor does not follow my mouse and the delay drives me crazy enough to close it again.
Rigachupe wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:07 pm Posted my submission to be played https://itch.io/jam/love2d-jam-2023/rate/1929096 and rated of course. Have fun!
This doesnt even start, raises a syntax error, opening it tells me the .lua files are in binary. How have you even done that?
obey
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

The exe runs on 11.3 which is included inside the zip file. The .love runs on 11.3 which needs love installation version 11.3. One of the jam person reported to me that the game failed on 11.4 version of love2D. Is that the same problem with your version or do you use even older version of love2D?
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Look, there are no readable sources. This is automatically on my do not try list for it.
obey
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

LuaJIT 2.0 and 2.1 are not binary-compatible; Löve up to 11.3 used 2.0 while 11.4 started using 2.1.

But yes, I'm on the "I won't touch that with a 10m stick" camp.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Speaking of versions, sorry for the thread derail, but is the bytcode even compatible between different archs and oses?
Say, does it work on Raspian for example?
obey
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:02 pm Speaking of versions, sorry for the thread derail, but is the bytcode even compatible between different archs and oses?
Say, does it work on Raspian for example?
LuaJIT wrote:The generated bytecode is portable and can be loaded on any architecture that LuaJIT supports, independent of word size or endianess. However, the bytecode compatibility versions must match. Bytecode stays compatible for dot releases (x.y.0 → x.y.1), but may change with major or minor releases (2.0 → 2.1) or between any beta release. Foreign bytecode (e.g. from Lua 5.1) is incompatible and cannot be loaded.