Why did love2d update its logo to the oversimplified one

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Why did love2d update its logo to the oversimplified one

Post by MrFariator »

He might have also been thinking of the löve whale that appears on the front page, because it's shared around pretty commonly when showing logos of various engines and frameworks. However, I don't think it has ever been the application logo.

notcl4y
Citizen

Post by notcl4y »

GVovkiv wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:27 pm What "boring" about it?
What "oversimplified" about it?
It's clean, simple, good looking logo, with white heart in center (which associating with, you know, love, literally name of framework), with circle split in half, using 2 calming colors: pink and light blue (maybe there backstory why exactly this colors?).
What it should be?
"calming"?
I thought the old one is calming than the new one.

Code: Select all

loves_lua = "not so",
wants_to = true
notcl4y
Citizen

Post by notcl4y »

slime wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:30 pm The fake lighting effects on the old windows icon have definitely gone out of style these days.
If you mean the old detailed logos style has gone it doesn't mean you have to change the logo to the oversimplified too one, also at least make the two versions with the old and with the new logo if you still want to use the current logo or some other ways.

loves_lua = "not so",
wants_to = true
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Just out of curiosity, what logo in particular are you even referring to?
notcl4y
Citizen

Post by notcl4y »

MrFariator wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:31 pm Just out of curiosity, what logo in particular are you even referring to?
viewtopic.php?p=195040#p195040

loves_lua = "not so",
wants_to = true
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

notcl4y wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:10 pm "calming"?
I thought the old one is calming than the new one.
You "thought" or there some artistic reasoning? I find new logo calming one, but i don't think this can be counted as universal way to tell if something is bad design or good.

Can you more specifically describe what exactly wrong with more simplistic style? It's not like logo even in old "detailed days" was filled with not much details to begin with.
If you mean the old detailed logos style has gone it doesn't mean you have to change the logo to the oversimplified too one
Well, technically yes, but then this logo will look out-of-place, which i assume, was specifically addressed in mentioned post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81776.
also at least make the two versions with the old and with the new logo if you still want to use the current logo or some other ways.
Which means, that slime need to build and host 2 version of every compiled love (windows? android? mac os? linux (appimage at least)? And don't forget about binaries for different cpu arches)? And all of this for only different icon? Icon, that supposed to be placeholder, until you change it with your own anyway? And since this is maybe 1st complain about logo in 6 years since it was changed, doing all of this for 1 user is mostly time and resource waste. You better of use viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93310, other solutions or read https://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distributi ... _for_Linux to know how to change icons on different os's.
There also more hardcore way involving building from source, but i can't say much about it
notcl4y
Citizen

Post by notcl4y »

GVovkiv wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:12 pm Which means, that slime need to build and host 2 version of every compiled love (windows? android? mac os? linux (appimage at least)? And don't forget about binaries for different cpu arches)? And all of this for only different icon? Icon, that supposed to be placeholder, until you change it with your own anyway? And since this is maybe 1st complain about logo in 6 years since it was changed, doing all of this for 1 user is mostly time and resource waste. You better of use viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93310, other solutions or read https://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distributi ... _for_Linux to know how to change icons on different os's.
There also more hardcore way involving building from source, but i can't say much about it
TL;DR I've also mentioned to make another way to use either the new or the old logo

loves_lua = "not so",
wants_to = true
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

notcl4y wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:27 pm at least make the two versions with the old and with the new logo if you still want to use the current logo or some other ways.
No thanks. But as several people have mentioned, feel free to change your local copy's icon to whatever you want, no one is stopping you.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

notcl4y wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:15 pm TL;DR I've also mentioned to make another way to use either the new or the old logo
This is why tools like viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93310 exist or building from source. You already have ways to do so.
You can try setup git cli, which will download newest love, download (or where you are planning to store this new icon) different icon, replace it in source and build with it.
If you care only about windows, replace icon with resource hacker or PE explorer (or different kind of editors).
What exactly you mean by "different way", if there already mentioned several time ways to do so?