How to get my game on android

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
NoreoAlles
Party member

How to get my game on android

Post by NoreoAlles »

Hey, i cant find any explanations on how to turn a .love into a file wich can be executed on android, although i know it has been anwsered already i would apprieciate help. :awesome:
"Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?" - Jon Arbuckle
Rigachupe
Citizen

Re: How to get my game on android

Post by Rigachupe »

1.option
- android google play
- find love for android and install it
- your love project needs to be zipped, but the main file must be directly in the zip at the beginning not in a folder
- throw the zip on android somewhere on the sdcard
- rename it from yourprojectname.zip to .love
- run it and you should see the game or blue screen of death (sometimes it fails for some bad programming and then you will look for the fix)

2. on the love2d page there is text how to append love zip project to apk, and i have seen some dudes making something like a exe to bundle this. you need to figure out the rest, i did not tried this because i hate this way so much it hurts my style :D (try to test something like this : make changes, save zip, make apk, throw apk on the phone, install it... see if it works)
NoreoAlles
Party member

Post by NoreoAlles »

Rigachupe wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:26 am 1.option
- android google play
- find love for android and install it
- your love project needs to be zipped, but the main file must be directly in the zip at the beginning not in a folder
- throw the zip on android somewhere on the sdcard
- rename it from yourprojectname.zip to .love
- run it and you should see the game or blue screen of death (sometimes it fails for some bad programming and then you will look for the fix)
Had to download another file manager, because my native one does not allow you to open as "others", but it wokred, thanks
"Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food?" - Jon Arbuckle
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Rigachupe wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:26 am 2. on the love2d page there is text how to append love zip project to apk, and i have seen some dudes making something like a exe to bundle this. you need to figure out the rest, i did not tried this because i hate this way so much it hurts my style :D (try to test something like this : make changes, save zip, make apk, throw apk on the phone, install it... see if it works)
If you want to go this route, it should be possible to automate that. Even pushing the APK to the phone, if you're connected via USB and you're familiar with ADB (Android Debug Bridge) - it's essentially a PC-based terminal for your Android.
But yeah, still a pain to get everything up and running happily. :P
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.