Steam Deck

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
marclurr
Party member

Steam Deck

Post by marclurr »

I have a Steam Deck in the post and I'm keen to have my own games running on there. Has anyone done this yet? As I understand it's just a Linux box so in theory I can just install the tools and run via the command line, or perhaps package everything as an AppImage and install that. I know it's a reasonably powerful handheld but honestly I'm more excited about playing small indie games and running emulators on it than playing the latest AAA blockbusters.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Steam Deck

Post by GVovkiv »

Steam Deck uses steamos, which is just arch linux with immutable file system. So if you have expirience with linux, or arch in particular, then yeah, it's just linux pc, which you can use as usual (or, more like laptop?)/
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

(we couldn't find a banana, so here's a can of pop for scale)
gold
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

GVovkiv wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:40 am So if you have expirience with linux, or arch in particular, then yeah, it's just linux pc, which you can use as usual (or, more like laptop?)/
Well it has been a few years since I defected back to Windows for my home machine, but I use a Linux box for work (a weird Amazon distro) so shouldn't be too much of a problem. I've probably made this into a bigger thing than it really is. Probably just the excitement :)
darkfrei wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:00 am See also: Developing for Steam Deck without a Dev-Kit
Cheers for that, not sure why my Googling didn't throw that one up.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

marclurr wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:30 pm I've probably made this into a bigger thing than it really is. Probably just the excitement :)
Yeah, it's just linux with built-in proton for windows games, gamepad, gyro, touchpads and touchscreen with quite decent hardware
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

About one zear ago Iöve asked about the Dev-Kit and waiting it until now. :(
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

So my device arrived last night. Thought I'd have a go at getting my recent Lowrezjam entry to run on it this morning. This is in fact a Windows build running via Proton and it seems pretty perfect. Ignore the flicker at the beginning, it's caused by my code for resizing the window after loading.

In case anyone is interested, the process was extremely trivial. Just enable developer mode in system settings, install the SteamOS Devkit Client on the PC and use that to upload. As I understand the client just uses rsync to transfer the files and the only fancy thing it does is automatically add the game into the Steam Library.