Help implementing game logic from fish fillets

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
glitchapp
Party member

Re: Help implementing game logic from fish fillets

Post by glitchapp »

darkfrei wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:02 pm Based on the Fishfilletsmini21.08.22.love, I've started from it :)

This part has overlapping!
2022-07-28T00_59_28-level-57.png
That objects has a mistake and should be 1 cell higher, I corrected it and I will upload it in the next update, then it will not overlap anymore.
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

glitchapp wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:39 pm
darkfrei wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:02 pm Based on the Fishfilletsmini21.08.22.love, I've started from it :)

That objects has a mistake and should be 1 cell higher, I corrected it and I will upload it in the next update, then it will not overlap anymore.
How to download the latest 1 MB version?
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

darkfrei wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:15 pm
glitchapp wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:39 pm

How to download the latest 1 MB version?
Here you are: https://codeberg.org/glitchapp/fish-fil ... llets-mini

Please be aware that you can't test the events and assets problems in that 1mb version because the events triggers audios which that version does not have and that version also have almost no assets, so to test the events there is no other way than downloading the full game.
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

glitchapp wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:56 pm Please be aware that you can't test the events and assets problems in that 1mb version because the events triggers audios which that version does not have and that version also have almost no assets, so to test the events there is no other way than downloading the full game.
I've remade the game/levelmenu.lua, it was too complicated for me:
levelmenu.lua
changed from fish-fillets-mini_2022-07-28
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

I like that thanks! The only thing I miss are the shadows effect and the selection circle that moves synced to the music. I will try to add it to your code at least for the full game.

Thanks, I did not know how to clean that code, it is a lot better now!

By the way, your code is perfect for the vr port, I started attempting to port the menu, here you have a screenshot of a preliminary demo I did:
fishfilletsvr.jpg
fishfilletsvr.jpg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 5572 times
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

darkfrei wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:48 pm
glitchapp wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:56 pm Please be aware that you can't test the events and assets problems in that 1mb version because the events triggers audios which that version does not have and that version also have almost no assets, so to test the events there is no other way than downloading the full game.
I've remade the game/levelmenu.lua, it was too complicated for me:
levelmenu.lua
I will implement your code for the mini and vr version of the game as you did.

For the full game, I will add 4 things that are missing in your code and looks cool or are important to me: https://codeberg.org/glitchapp/fish-fil ... elmenu.lua

1. Missing light and shadows projection
2. Missing menus (The full game have extra features such a music player, extras, a planned level editor etc)
3. The circle synced to the music when hovering the spheres
4. Some content is unlockable and there's must be a condition that show or hide it depending of the state of the game and achievements: https://codeberg.org/glitchapp/fish-fil ... ements.lua

For both the mini and full version I will also add:
The Titles of the menus and areas when hovering the spheres

It seems that performance has improved a lot, there's no lag anymore caused by the many lights and shadows! Thank you!

I attached the vr port of the menu, I hope it is ok to post this here since it is basically lua and the lovr api is so similar. I really want to make it work and therefor I also add it to the attachments.

* Last update: this will be probably the definitve level menu: They will be both the same on full and mini game, the only difference would be the circles synced to the music on the full game (the mini game has no music).
Attachments
levelmenu.lua
Last version of level menu selecion
(16.84 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
levelmenuvr.lua
(21.25 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

glitchapp wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:57 am It seems that performance has improved a lot, there's no lag anymore caused by the many lights and shadows! Thank you!
The main problem was that you create the light source in the cycle; I don't know how to use this lib, but light creation out of cycle was much faster with same visuals.
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

darkfrei wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:57 pm
glitchapp wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:57 am It seems that performance has improved a lot, there's no lag anymore caused by the many lights and shadows! Thank you!
The main problem was that you create the light source in the cycle; I don't know how to use this lib, but light creation out of cycle was much faster with same visuals.
Yes, you are right, anyway I disabled it in the last update because there were too much effects and it looks more clean without them, there is better contrast I think.
I put all the light effects on a different function so that it can be activated by just calling it like this:

Code: Select all

drawshadows(x,y,newBody)
Even with the optimization the lights can be too much if you play it on a raspberry or an old arm device so I think it is better off.

I also created another function called drawonlytitles that it is called at the end of the cycle like this:

Code: Select all

drawonlytitles(x,y)
That function prints the title of the areas and levels as you hover over the spheres.

The last version can be found here: https://codeberg.org/glitchapp/fish-fil ... elmenu.lua
Attachments
levelmenulast.jpg
levelmenulast.jpg (142.82 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

The problems with the events has been solved and now the new push-block logic is used all the time and the old is deprecated.

Till now I can't find any bugs with the events so everything is alright.
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

glitchapp wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:41 am The problems with the events has been solved and now the new push-block logic is used all the time and the old is deprecated.

Till now I can't find any bugs with the events so everything is alright.
Here can be (I haven't saw this issue) the problem by the falling blocks: it can be situation with "gluing" of blocks to metablocks and when some of blocks have contact with static element (map, block or fish), the other block will be not falling too, as glued to the first one. But I am not sure that it's possible and I cannot make this situation.

Maybe we can build the tetris with static and dynamic blocks to simulate it :)