Have you coded a block chain for fun?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Re: Have you coded a block chain for fun?

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

:rofl: Woah, GrUMp. I wasn't trying to be *rude*.
The only only drugs I take are for headaches and sore throat :?

It was A JOKE. ^^ Kind of like a Malaphor...?

It was me insisting, in a dumb way, that there is a saying that every mountain was once a mole hill...or something like that :cry:

Come on, I was the one saying a few posts ago that I had no idea what it is, and frankly, I still find it complicating so much that that your first sentence sounded like tech no babble to me :cry:
grump wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 am
Let me ask you a question that I was recently asked by another misguided member on this forum: are you on drugs?
:ultrashocked: Woah, who asked you that..?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:26 pm It was A JOKE. ^^ Kind of like a Malaphor...?
To be fair, some of the things you say are quite cryptic. Language barrier is a thing though - we're both no native speakers, obviously.
:ultrashocked: Woah, who asked you that..?
A user that wasn't too happy when I pointed out that their reasoning was flawed. I neither take nor mean these things personally.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I've built a block chain with a basic GUI. It accidentally has encryption through the use of bitser - noting it's all open source lol.

I'll polish it up and add some robustness and conflict resolution.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

togFox wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:43 pm It accidentally has encryption through the use of bitser
Oh my god, mate. Please tell me this is another joke I'm just too stupid to pick up on.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

:brows:
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

No. Not a joke.

My block chain is a table and the table is saved to a text file for future transporting.

I use bitser to serialise the table into a string and that string is written to the text file.

Point is my block chain is not 'in the clear' and if it were altered with an editor or in transit then the load function would fail -which is good.

Edit: perhaps 'encoding' is a better term? (That's a real question)
Last edited by togFox on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

Bitser is not cryptographically secure - it just allows you to encode and decode some data in non-destructive way, as it's a serializer. Not a way to (securely) encrypt data. If someone were to grab the data in transit, they could decode it with - you guessed it - bitser itself. Then they could just modify whatever they want, encode it and deliver the modified output forward. Sure, you might use some custom classes in your lua code and register them with bitser, which would make that process harder, but not impossible.

As such, yes, encoding is the better term to use here. Encryption implies security which bitser, by design, doesn't provide by itself. You could say bitser does make it harder for the layman to decipher the contents, but you can achieve that with just about any kind of obfuscation.