Gifs or Webm

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Gifs or Webm

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

One of the comments from here goes:
[–] [deleted dude]
I'll watch the GIF, but only because I know it's actually a low-bitrate WebM that'll load way faster than youtube or, god save us, an actual GIF. GIFs don't even have predicted frames.

[–] schoen08 Student @schoendominik [S] It is really funny how the term "GIF" is all around the place while we are all watching WebMs. I thought about writing WebMs above, but I thought that might confuse everyone.
But you have a very good point with the amount of data volume one is willing to share.
If I want to use gifs to promote my game do I actually use "webMs"? Like do I get a mp4 to webM converter to convert short vids? :?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Gifs or Webm

Post by MrFariator »

What (I think) they're referring to there is that many websites (Twitter, Reddit, etc) often do some sort of auto-conversion on GIF files that makes them load faster, or otherwise be more mobile friendly. GIF as a file format has gained some bad reputation over the years because, well, it's a rather crudely simple file format, and in the past it even might have exhibited weird playback issues (different browsers playing GIFs at different framerates, etc).

As such, the choice between GIF or webm doesn't matter that much (unless you also want to include audio). The only major consideration is how the website might playback content in users' feeds. GIFs are generally auto-played on twitter, but videos may require a click before they start, and that extra added click could potentially lose you some traffic. That, and not all websites even support webm yet.

However, you shouldn't put your eggs into one basket, and do a mixture of both if you can. A flashy GIF is a good way to catch people's attention, while a video can provide more context via audio and longer form content.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

& btw, for linux users there is a great, simple open-source tool to record gif, webm or mp4 videos called peek. can't recommend it enough.
Party member

Nice recommendation. It even has a cool name
MrFariator wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:13 pm What (I think) they're referring to there is that many websites (Twitter, Reddit, etc) often do some sort of auto-conversion on GIF files that makes them load faster...
If this is true then I should have nothing worry about, right?

sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Gonna use gifs just to keep that pronunciation debate going for as long as I can.
Party member

I honestly have no idea and I mostly just say "G - I - F" :rofl:

darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am I honestly have no idea and I mostly just say "G - I - F" :rofl:
[dji-ai-ef]?
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

darkfrei wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:48 am
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am I honestly have no idea and I mostly just say "G - I - F" :rofl:
[dji-ai-ef]?
obviously, it's [gee-ee-fuh] :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

The correct pronunciation is "F".

G as in "though"
I as in "business"
F as in "Fuck, this joke doesn't work because there's no silent F in the english language"
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

I can give you a British halfpenny for your effort.