Game distribution question

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
VanBandama
Prole

Re: Game distribution question

Post by VanBandama »

togFox wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:57 am What about protecting LOVE2D source code from code stealers? Love2D source code can be accessed in about 10 seconds. That's a con.
I'm a huge fan of half life or doom modding myself. So I don't mind if someone is looking into logic to figure it out ;)
milon
Party member

Re: Game distribution question

Post by milon »

VanBandama wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm Exactly as you said 100+ MB it's big. I know today nobody gives a damn how huge game is. I want everyone who downloads my game, to easily access to soundtrack folder (as a bonus - and as GVovkiv mentioned earlier player don't want to be annoyed)

Something like this i.e:

D:/MyGame :
-/soundtrack/ - audio tracks going here, also game will load it from here
-myGame.exe
-/GFX/ - here are all spritesheets and tileset in .dat file format
-lua51.dll
-mpg123.dll
-OpenAl.dll
-SDL2.dll
-msvcp120.dll
-msvcr120.dll

I know that structure can be achieved with .love file, just curious how it can affect performance and stability

*update:
I wrote it same time zorg and Gunroar:Cannon()'s explanation and didn't see that. But thanks for clarification :)
That's doable with both fused games and .love files. Just open it up in your favorite archive manager, like 7-Zip and you'll see exactly that. :)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.