How to make good explosions

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

How to make good explosions

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

I want to make good explosions like in the pics. But right now I just use a puff and it's just one image. Do I animate the image or use particles(though last time I used particles it was pretty stale, like straight lines, I don't know the right patterns to use and what type of pics)

Left is my desirable one, right is fancy but still acceptable

My current explosions, they just fade away and grow smaller, which I don't think is very realistic and good
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Nikki
Citizen

Re: How to make good explosions

Post by Nikki »

from https://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart

loads and loads more valueable learning material on that site for pixel art
Party member

Ok, thanks! I've never seen this site before!!! I can't believe it! So it's all about the art? Is there any need/ method to use tje particle system? (Maybe I could even use the particle system to damage the player on touch?)

milon
Party member

Post by milon »

You could also grab some explosion animations from opengameart.org and layer a few together like in your first post (especially 2nd image). Use small random offsets to give it some variety.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Party member

milon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:30 am You could also grab some explosion animations from opengameart.org and layer a few together like in your first post (especially 2nd image). Use small random offsets to give it some variety.
2nd 2nd image or the 2 in 1 image (right)?
Though I still feel like I could combine this with a particle system...

milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:00 pm 2nd 2nd image or the 2 in 1 image (right)?
Though I still feel like I could combine this with a particle system...
Oops! I'm posting from my phone right now - didn't realize the 2nd image was from your game, haha!

Looking at your post again, the left side of the first image (desired outcome) is 1 large explosion with some smaller images layered on top. You could do that manually or with a particle system. (Personally, if that's all you're going to do with a particle system then I'd say don't bother.)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Party member

Oh, you may not know since you might not have played spelunky (the first image) but the small things in the background fly far and can damage the player sometimes, but I guess I could use a Debris class or something?

Main Takeaway: Make the explosions an animation rather than fade it away. Thanks, I'll try it...

milon
Party member

Post by milon »

You can still fade it - just draw the animation sprites to another canvas and use an alpha transparency. Then draw that canvas to the screen. I personally have no experience with particle systems which is why I'd use a table to track animation bits. But either approach should work.