Mars Lander. Any collaborators? Noobs welcome.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
togFox
Party member

Re: Mars Lander. Any collaborators? Noobs welcome.

Post by togFox »

There are no explosions yet bit I'm hoping we can get some different idea on 'when' a crash is. The game currently lets you bounce along the ground as much as you like and that is also kind of fun and non-frustrating. If we want explosions then 'when'? I don't want to make this hard and unfun but all ideas are good ideas.

I think those buildings will work well. I'll make different sizes and scale and layer them for effect. Thanks!

That gas tank - I might make that vertical line transparent and then draw it with a dynamic red line to show how much fuel is in that tank. I think that will work well.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Haha. I was so busy thinking "how?" I didn't think "why?" :ultrahappy:
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

There is now a fuel indicator on the tank. The green bar will drain down to the bottom.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (44.15 KiB) Viewed 3421 times

It's a bit hard to see here but the 'light' will also go off when the tank is drained. You can see the left tank is off and the right tank is on. Thanks @gunroar!
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (162.06 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
Sidenote: the animated landing lights turn red when you've landed the first time, meaning, you can still get fuel but you won't get any more cash bonuses.
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (69.46 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Current project:
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

v0.07 attached

-- added building #1 thanks to @GUNROAR
-- added buidling #2 thanks to @GUNROAR
-- base tank light turns off when tank is empty of fuel. Thanks to @GUNROAR
-- base tanks have a little fuel indicator
-- game spawns 20+ bases now (more than 10)
-- shop menu removes items you have already bought
-- green landing lights turn red after you've landed there once
-- graphics fix with some graphics 'blinking' out when too close to screen edge

Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (55.43 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
MarsLander.love
(4.3 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
Current project:
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:26 pm
milon wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:33 am
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:14 am version can be used when the tank is crashed into, though then you need explosions. :P
Lucky for us, someone has just been working on that very topic! ;)
Oh, is me? :rofl: My explosion code is integrated into the framework of the game I'm working on (bump.lua, specific entity inheritance of all objects in game), but I guess I could try and integrate it if that's fine, or maybe explosions are already being coded in?
Haha, yeah, I was referring to you. This being a simple project, it may not be best to get into entity inheritance etc, so that may not be best for this project. I dunno - I'd want to hear togFox's opinion on that.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

That wouldn't be my first option but the motto is: if someone submits code that works then it works. :) My own code and coding style is slowly becoming so frazzled and inconsistent you can feel free to make it more random. lolz.

I know Milon has been browsing through the list of issues on github. Anyone else is free to comment, make observations, create cards or submit code: https://github.com/togfoxy/MarsLander/issues
Current project:
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

togFox wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:23 am There is now a fuel indicator on the tank. The green bar will drain down to the bottom.
Woah, you used the bar! Nice!
And good edits to the buildings. :awesome:
For now I say explosions should be left out :ultrahappy:
Now for me to start working on the lander. Again, any reference images besides the current sprite?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

The lander definitely needs love. I don't have references but I like the steam-punk feel of the gas tanks so something like that?

I'll Google references. Later.

For those watching: I'll start thinking about co-op and net code. It shouldn't be that hard but it always is. I'm going this can be a fun party game over LAN or internet. We'll see.
Current project:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Two landers = multiplayer. :=)
Untitled4.png
Untitled4.png (63.88 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Untitled5.png
Untitled5.png (7 KiB) Viewed 3337 times

I had a thought - with the lander - there will be modules and upgrades and things to improve the lander. We'll want those modules to be drawn on the lander as they are purchased. If we can, we need to make the lander 'modular' so that we can draw modules on top of the lander and make it 'grow' as modules are bought. That makes the artwork more tricky!

In other news, now that co-op is progressing, I have motivation to look at Milon's deterministic algorithm for the terrain. I'm now thinking I'll also need one for building placements and other items in the game. Perhaps the same algorithm with different parameters can determine building placement?
Current project:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

So I googled "steam punk spaceship" and I picked out three that I liked and two of them are LEGO models!

I'd like the pixel art to show modules as modules are bought. I expect those to overlay the main sprite so I'm thinking this won't be a problem. Perhaps.

The current sprite is also 32 x 32 so that might have to be reviewed as well.

steampunk spaceship - Google Search.jpg
steampunk spaceship - Google Search.jpg (17.28 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
Current project: