Mars Lander. Any collaborators? Noobs welcome.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Re: Mars Lander. Any collaborators? Noobs welcome.

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Spaceship? Lander?
Please bare with me :rofl: I use a limited palette :megagrin:
You may need to reduce the collision size of the ship (which may be a good thing hazards wise). I can make a new one if this one isn't acceptable or ... :?
64x64 You may need to rework it, I dunno :P
I could add more attachments, just getting the basics out first.
Attachments
full
full
ship_lander.png (1.26 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
bare_ship.png
bare_ship.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
wing_attachment_example.png.png
wing_attachment_example.png.png (582 Bytes) Viewed 4111 times
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Hmm. Current sprite is a 'top down' view of a spaceship that lands on its thrusters.

The ones above are a side view. Will that work better?
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

v0.08 is released. This has a new upgrade to purchase - side thrusters. Can be used for precision landing.

Releases and change log here in whatever format you most desire:
https://github.com/togfoxy/MarsLander/releases
Current project:
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

togFox wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am Hmm. Current sprite is a 'top down' view of a spaceship that lands on its thrusters.

The ones above are a side view. Will that work better?
Oh, yes. Funny thing is I thought of that as I was doing it and yes, it should hopefully work. Maybe the sprite might need to move down, but the rest of the game is side view so I thought a top down sprite might not be the best thing. ( I could even make separate thrusters that face down.)

And since they rotate I thought it may look better.

Edit: The sprite should move down by 15 times whatever scale you use for this ship (to touch the ground). You might also need to toy with the collision size and position (There are 13 pixels on top of the lander so you might need to reduce the size by 26*scale and then draw the sprite at it's y position + (15+26)*scale. I'm just winging this suggestion)

Sorry, couldn't reposition/scale the image because that would make it harder to add a good variety of attachments.
Attachments
Wanted to seperate thrusters
Wanted to seperate thrusters
thruster.png (419 Bytes) Viewed 4087 times
ship_lander_bare.png
ship_lander_bare.png (929 Bytes) Viewed 4087 times
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Nice. I'll play around with it if no one else does.

Smoke effects. For fun. In space. :)
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (51.15 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Current project:
Philbywhizz
Prole

Post by Philbywhizz »

I just submitted a pull request that gives you the ability to pause the game with 'p'.

It's nothing special but it's allowing me to learn how everything works.
Philbywhizz.com - a blog too far...
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Merged. :) Thanks. Didn't think of a pause.

I've started using my own branch for WIP items and will merge when I feel is bug free. I haven't added the most recent changes to the change log but will do that when I'm not on mobile.

In case it matters I don't use git. I do everything through the github web browser. (Including mobile).
Current project:
Philbywhizz
Prole

Post by Philbywhizz »

Git workflows are always fun. I'm still learning how they all work.

I leave my main branch alone (I just fetch and pull your changes down to my local main from time to time). I work off my own feature branches and just rebase from my main as needed.

Before I do a PR, I pull any latest changes down from your repo, rebase my feature branch and push both main and feture branch back up to github. Then I submit a PR based on what's uploaded. Seems to give the cleanest result.

Feel free to make any comments on my code. Don't just commit it because you feel like you have to - I'm pen to any feedback with my code, so if you think it's silly or doesn't make sense then reject or discuss it on github :)
Philbywhizz.com - a blog too far...
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

> Feel free to make any comments on my code.

There are many ppl here qualified to comment on other ppls code but I'm not one of them. 8-) I am essentially just looking for code conflicts reported by github and accepting if I can.

A note to all lurkers. I'm hoping a bunch of you can d/l and play the game and help with some important game decisions. For example:

- crashing into the ground gives no penalty atm. I think there should be but don't want to make it hard. How to make it a fun penalty?
- game modes and win conditions? I'm thinking a co-op race might be fun. All 'pilots' need to race to the end while making choices about where to land and fuel and how long to fuel and what upgrades to buy. If you dither then you lose.
- should buildings and other items be collidable? What happens when you collide? Should there be a damage gauge that is a little forgiving on the first collision?
- would a physics engine that lets you collide and bump into other players be fun? I can imagine lining up for the perfect landing and some dude comes flying in way too hot and bumps you out. Could be lots lot lolz.

I'm thinking this could be a fun online game with your mates during a lockdown or rainy day. Have voice comms and have a good low risk larf with your mates.

Edit: oh - and the fused version plays music that you won't hear if you run main.lua.
Current project:
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

I'd personally like to see the code being more organized into objects instead of having createobjects.lua, drawobjects.lua and the logic being in main.lua. I get the argument that self might be a bit complicated for total beginners but having stuff organized into their own files doesn't mean you have to use self or code everything with OOP in mind.

Regarding visuals: I made something simple that could be used as inspiration for the game.

The UI elements are borrowed from an older unreleased project of mine.
The terrain is made out of tiles and 3 separate tile layers.

Implementing tile based terrain might be a bit too much of a stretch for this type of game aka too hard to implement with collisions and random terrain generation - but I thought it looked cool :awesome: .
Also Imo the gameplay could potentially be better with smaller sprites and terrain and slower gameplay overall - a bit more like the original game, but not too slow.

For more diverse gameplay I could imagine the game having some simple random encounters or events on the way like the engine struggling to fire (rarely), random astronauts appearing that need to be taken to the next base, a tornado that has to be avoided or asteroids.