How to clamp camera?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

How to clamp camera?

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Just wondering what methods there are to make a camera that follows a player to stop following the player at a certain place (like next to a wall)? I use camerax but the methods should work for all if you have any clues...
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: How to clamp camera?

Post by GVovkiv »

use coordinates of player to check that?
like regular collisions checks, but for camera?
if player inside some zone, then camera should stop following, and when player leaves it, then continue?
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:11 am Just wondering what methods there are to make a camera that follows a player to stop following the player at a certain place (like next to a wall)? I use camerax but the methods should work for all if you have any clues...

Code: Select all

if camera_following then
   -- do following
else
  -- do not following
end
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
Party member

So like collision detection? Would I have to do anything with the scale value? Any resources for how to clamp are also welcome.

GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Would I have to do anything with the scale value?
you need is X and Y of something that should be followed with camera (for example, player)
game window width and height (if your game window can be resized) or game's render width and height if, for example, your game uses option to change resolution of game which will be scaled to
and, maybe, scale value (if you have one)
with X and Y of player and with resolution\window size divined by in-game scale value (if have one) you can determine where bounds of camera, x, y, etc
Now with that you can create some "collisions" which you will use to determinate when you camera should stop and when continue to follow something
Party member

It seems StalkerX has a setBounds(x,y,w,h) method, but it only works properly when the scale is 1? Problem?

RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

Formally I think this is called a 'filter'.
You have an input 2D point, scale, rotation etc. that you want the camera to assume for the current frame, you can call this the "frame transform". Before applying this frame transform to the camera, you send it to that filter function and it will return a transform, which can be the same one (pass-through, no changes) or it can be a new transform with some components constrained according to some rules that you decided.

You get to decide what kind of constraints you want the camera transform to follow, and program the filter function to enforce them: boundary constraints (camera center is limited to the region of a rectangle), or collision, or a preset path for an "on-rails" camera, or the camera needs to always include 'these' objects on screen (so its scale and position are constrained to include those objects) etc.

Code: Select all

local frameCameraTransform = camera.createTransform(x, y, scale, rotation)

local constrainedCameraTransform = camera.constrain(frameCameraTransform, gameContext)

camera.setTransform(constrainedCameraTransform)