Lua tutorials - New video "Functions as first class objects" [Youtube]

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jeeper
Party member

Lua tutorials - New video "Functions as first class objects" [Youtube]

Post by Jeeper »

Just released a new video which covers Functions as first class objects in Lua

I have recently started making some Lua related videos on youtube, and my plan is to keep making these every now and then in order to build up (hopefully) a solid library of topics.

* Explaining 'Self'
* OOP & Inheritance
* Multiple Inheritance
* Error() & Assert() functions
Hope that someone finds them useful! :)
Last edited by Jeeper on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
milon
Party member

Re: Lua tutorials [Youtube]

Post by milon »

Very interesting! Do you have transcripts available? I'm one of those weird people who strongly prefer text over video.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

I'm really liked the way you explained OOP. The way I do it right now is a bit messy and I did not fully understand until now what __index and metatable is for exactly, I was using it without truly understanding. But finally, this tutorial cleared things up.

Please do more. It was really useful and well explained.
Thanks a lot.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

ddabrahim wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:47 pm I'm really liked the way you explained OOP. The way I do it right now is a bit messy and I did not fully understand until now what __index and metatable is for exactly, I was using it without truly understanding. But finally, this tutorial cleared things up.

Please do more. It was really useful and well explained.
Thanks a lot.
Awesome to hear, my goal was to try to make it as easy and accessible as possible :D
And yes, I am working on more videos (including more Lua videos)

milon wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:56 pm Very interesting! Do you have transcripts available? I'm one of those weird people who strongly prefer text over video.
Sure thing! I went ahead and added both of the video scripts for you here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nYM ... sp=sharing
Keep in mind that this was written as a script for the video, so I don't know how well they work "alone".
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Jeeper wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 pm Sure thing! I went ahead and added both of the video scripts for you here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nYM ... sp=sharing
Keep in mind that this was written as a script for the video, so I don't know how well they work "alone".
Awesome, thanks! I'll check out the video(s) if the text hooks me enough, or if it's clear I'm missing something.

FWIW, I think my issue with videos is that I've had numerous experiences of being "held hostage" by a video that later turned out not to be what it claimed it was - video clickbait, I guess you could call it. I've also had numerous experiences of having to sit through *hours* of video to pick up content that really should have fit in 20-30 minutes. With text, I can quickly skim and see if it's worth my time and if it's really what I'm looking for. It's also far easier to go back to and reference text later if I need a quick reminder of something.

Regardless, I really appreciate having the text available! :D

EDIT - Yeah, went back to look at the videos. Nice work! I love how concise they are. :D
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Same as you milon - I hardly ever watch a 20 minute vid for something that takes 3 minutes to read.

Current thread excepted! I read the transcript and then watched the vid.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

milon wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:47 pm Awesome, thanks! I'll check out the video(s) if the text hooks me enough, or if it's clear I'm missing something.

EDIT - Yeah, went back to look at the videos. Nice work! I love how concise they are. :D
togFox wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:19 am Same as you milon - I hardly ever watch a 20 minute vid for something that takes 3 minutes to read.

Current thread excepted! I read the transcript and then watched the vid.
Happy to hear that you both found the videos helpful, I try my best to keep them as short as possible. It can be tricky at times to balance actually explaining things well and speed. If you have any feedback, I would love to hear it :)

Btw, I updated the OP because I just released the 3rd video in the series, this time it covers Multiple Inheritance:

https://youtu.be/1BFoprD30dE
salemRaddaoui
Prole

Re: Lua tutorials - New video "Multiple Inheritance" [Youtube]

Post by salemRaddaoui »

thanks alot! this one helps alot :awesome:
one notice !
please increase the font size
Jeeper
Party member

Re: Lua tutorials - New video "Multiple Inheritance" [Youtube]

Post by Jeeper »

New video out which covers named & optional arguments :)
salemRaddaoui wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:09 pm thanks alot! this one helps alot :awesome:
one notice !
What device do you view the videos on? I have tried to increase the font size & we zoom into the code.
Jeeper
Party member

Re: Lua tutorials - New video "Functions as first class objects" [Youtube]

Post by Jeeper »

I just released a video which dives a bit deeper into functions, covering topics such as:
Functions being first class objects, Callback functions, Anonymous functions & Self invoking functions.
Tutorial on Functions as first class objects

and a couple of weeks ago I released a video which covers the Error & Assert functions:
Tutorial on Error & Assert()
Hope that someone finds them useful! :)
salemRaddaoui wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:09 pm thanks alot! this one helps alot :awesome:
one notice !
The latest video (functions as first class objects) has an increased font size. Let me know what you think :)