Thank you LÖVE :)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Chroteus
Citizen

Thank you LÖVE :)

Post by Chroteus »

This is just a simple thank you post for the love developers and the community as I look back in general.

I started to learn programming when I was around 14 and obviously one of my first thoughts was "i wanna make some games". Although I got disenchanted with gamedev in general at around 17-18 (I switched to data science & ML), all the concepts and ideas relating to code architecture and general algorithmic concepts that I have learned helped me tremendously.

I am 22 now, and I dont think I would be where I am now without löve, so thanks a lot everybody :)
Ekamu
Party member

Re: Thank you LÖVE :)

Post by Ekamu »

Just curious, what exactly disenchanted you from gamedev?
Chroteus
Citizen

Post by Chroteus »

Ekamu wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:50 am Just curious, what exactly disenchanted you from gamedev?
The fact that for a proper game, more than any cool programming tricks, you need a good writer, artist and a musician. Although it is possible to combine it into one (see Touhou, ZUN) I could not see myself fulfilling all those roles. That is why I dropped gamedev. I simply could not fill all the roles needed for a good game.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

The answer of course is to find collaborators but to find people that want to work on the same project is the first hurdle. Then your have personalities, agendas, time zones, different skill sets etc I find it very hard for a hobbyist to move most projects beyond a proof of concept so I hear what your are saying.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Well, If you are looking to do it professionally for a living, game dev is indeed not an easy path. But you can always do it as a hobby, many successful indie project started as a hobby and once the developers see that it is going somewhere, people do like it, only then they considered to invest more time and money and may even hire people.

Personally I don't believe in collaboration for commercial projects, it is just impossible to find random people who just as passionate and dedicated and share the same exact vision as you are. Sooner or later there will be differences in creative and design decisions and that point someone need to be in charge and once you signal "it is you and it is your project" that is the point when you begin to lose people. In my opinion you either do it alone or hire people to do it for you or make it open-source.

If you do it alone, you need to lover the bar, more simple art style with less detail, simple gameplay, less features. As for sound effects and music, there are lots of free music and sound effects out there. For example https://soundimage.org. Even blockbuster movies often use the same song, you can certainly find something that fit your game.
Even if you do it alone it helps to get your game in to a state that you can show to people and get feedback. If you get positive feedback from people it gives you that extra push and motivation to keep you going and if you can learn from negative feedbacks this is how you can make something great.