I am new and I have a question around love libraries

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
tomxp411
Prole

Re: I am new and I have a question around love libraries

Post by tomxp411 »

coussini wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:48 pm
togFox wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:13 am Why don't you use Fly With Lua?
Thanks for reply.

Flywithlua is very limiting. I would like to draw buttons with rounded corners, pictures and of course a better possibility in terms of writing and font. We only have the possibility of using a font 10, 12 and 18 (why we have not 14 and 16 font ?)
That's because X-Plane uses bitmap fonts. There's literally a big image file in there somewhere with a picture of all the letters and symbols, and X-Plane draws text on the screen by showing the appropriate part of the picture.

Because of this, Austin has to build a separate image file for each font and size... and since his needs are specific (he doesn't use 14 or 16 in the simulator), he didn't make fonts for those sizes.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

tomxp411 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:31 pm

That's because X-Plane uses bitmap fonts. There's literally a big image file in there somewhere with a picture of all the letters and symbols, and X-Plane draws text on the screen by showing the appropriate part of the picture.

Because of this, Austin has to build a separate image file for each font and size... and since his needs are specific (he doesn't use 14 or 16 in the simulator), he didn't make fonts for those sizes.
Does Xplane have a Free type/true type font generator maybe? (Like libgdx). It loads a freetype font with specified size, to avoid blurriness, at runtime(.ttf(?)) and can save it as a bitmap font for later use for optimization.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
tomxp411
Prole

Post by tomxp411 »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:57 pm Does Xplane have a Free type/true type font generator maybe? (Like libgdx). It loads a freetype font with specified size, to avoid blurriness, at runtime(.ttf(?)) and can save it as a bitmap font for later use for optimization.
I doubt it, and even if it did, it's not going to allow plugins to access new assets like that. It's been a long time since I messed with the X-Plane SDK, but I do remember that it was intended to integrate into the existing UI, which means using the existing fonts and UI widgets, not creating new stuff from scratch.