Curius experimental project: block chains

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
togFox
Party member

Curius experimental project: block chains

Post by togFox »

I thought it might be interesting to write a LOVE2D program that uses block chains in a peer-2-peer network for fun and learning. The three devices, probably laptops in my house, would use a simple no-fuss GUI to buy and sell fantasy cubits. I would imagine it would be scalable by default so that might be fun to experiment with.

Has anyone even thought about such a thing with LOVE2D (or LUA)? There are a lot of commercial reasons to learn block chains (not cryptocurrency) so I had the idle thought to research and check it out.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Xugro
Party member

Re: Curius experimental project: block chains

Post by Xugro »

All you need is a network (e.g. lua-enet) and some hash-function (e.g. love.data.hash). Choose the difficulty for mining low enough and you should not have any problems. You can even start multiple peers on a single machine if you use different ports.

For a proof-of-concept just use löve/lua. If you want to use it in the real world then it would probably be wiser to use a faster platform (e.g. C++).

3Blue1Brown has a video on YouTube that shows how Bitcoin (and block-chains) work. You can base your work on this: