Favourite inspiring/unique games

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
milon
Party member

Re: Favourite unique games

Post by milon »

I also want to add The Talos Principle. It's a fantasic 3D puzzle game (a lot in the vein of Portal 1 & 2), but with lots of secrets, fun mechanics, and lots of ways to attempt "unintended" things (that you later figure out were totally intended!). And it doesn't hurt that the visuals are great, the music is really nice, and you get to argue existentialism with a cynical AI. ;)

Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

milon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:52 pm you get to argue existentialism with a cynical AI.
Like Marvin from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy :rofl: (good book by the way, if you don't know it)
zorg wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:08 pm
- Portal 1/2, Quantum Connundrum, Antichamber, Manifold Garden - Dimensional manipulation, Portals, Non-Euclidean geometries with and without 6 degrees of freedom, infinite regress...
Ha, portal, definitely.
I always like things about AI, though I like to cite portal because of its characters and story.

I'd also like to add another game, a visual novel thriller on android, Murder Room. Reason due more to story than to gameplay. They hit those story elements nicely. Though it's ridiculously hard(for me at least, so much so that me and my brother have a saying "Murder room hard". Walk past a bunch of parked cars, say that murder room be random like: see the writing on the number plate of the only white car, count how many places to the right it is, then count that number of spaces on the number plate to get the value of that number from from the number plate. This will give you another number which points to <that number> house that you passed on your way to the white car, go to that house and....:rofl: that's an over exaggeration), they set the atmosphere well, and the overall
whole story is gold. As expected of Japanese(though not always, *cough*boku no pico*cough*).Image
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

I like programming games as they can teach you some if you don't play just for fun) and this one is really well made: https://alexnisnevich.github.io/untrusted/
Party member

dusoft wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:16 pm I like programming games as they can teach you some if you don't play just for fun) and this one is really well made: https://alexnisnevich.github.io/untrusted/
I just read this now and I totally agree, though I've barely played any coding games, I played one about coding gladiator robots though.
Coding games reminds me of another game I see special, with good mechanics. It might not be the a coding game persay, but it's still a logic game.
Baba is You has you playing as Baba(heheh) pushing word blocks that define the logic of that world to solve puzzles. So if you manage to put in a sentence wall is you, when you move all the walls move instead of Baba.

Party member

Another game I was reading about a while back is Middle Earth:Shadow of Mordor and it's sequel, Shadow of War.
The game uses something called the Nemesis System. This system makes every one (orc) you fought remember you and hold grudges/favours for you. It also allows the player to take down their army from the inside by pulling the strings and making certain orcs win fights to make them captains and other ranks so that they owe you and can be your spy.
Funny thing is that the creator of Dwarf fotress did something like this in his earlier project. The game kept count of goblins in the world and which ones had killed you previously so that they could come back and taunt you ^^ .
Anyway, they (Warner Bros) patented the Nemesis System, meaning no other game can use it without some legal trouble....yah. It's kind of sad how big companies hold one to ideas, the dwarf fotress creator topped their whole system by simulating a whole new world every time you play, and yet he's so humble(lives off donations, refused to sell it off to another big company unlike *cough*Mine*cough*craft, etc).
Apparently Assassin's Creed (Origins I think?) did something like the Nemesis System but on a smaller scale ... with merchants :P.
Though despite the patent and inferiority to Dwarf Fotress it's still a good system, especially since it's implemented in an AAA game and is not the main game.
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Party member

Re: Favourite inspiring games

One game to look at would be Brogue,the roguelike... The Brian Walker's Rogue...hence Brogue. :P
I played this a while back and being the first ascii game(but not first I've heard of) I played though not first roguelike (pixel dungeon :P ), I saw it as absolutely beautiful in graphics, like... are all ASCII games like this? The lighting, the effects.

But no, they're not. Not that it's a bad thing, and I don't mind graphics in games, so I see dwarf fotress as fine but comparing it to the ascii roguelikes before it you can see the improvement.
Nethack

Now that's not necessarily a bad thing for other games, as in yes, they did their job then brogue came in with nice lighting as it's thing, they have their own thing, that's okay. But the nice play on ascii graphics what I want to talk about.

So, you see, I find games (even movies and books) fun when things escalate. Digging some blocks in a chasm-cave Minecraft, break cobblestone, water comes out from the place you dug, and pushes you down to you're inevitable death in the lava that was way down in the chasm. I think that is the beef of player-made and procedural stories. Like in Rimworld and Dwarf fotress. A point will come in a story where things start to build up and test if the "protagonist" can make come out of things successful.

Escalated

Brogue induces the feeling of stories well. One of the reasons could be from the fact that it doesn't induce grinding, so you're practically the same when you start a game at floor 1 compared to when you die at floor 8. The equipment based progression makes the game, though still have an aspect of luck, make you use your skill at planning than you're skill of bashing monsters. Here you're less like a powerful overlord as you go, but more of Bilbo sneaking his way past dangerous monsters - that stay dangerous. Traps that have meaning. Battles that have feeling .Monkeys that like stealing...okay, I'm getting carried away, but still, coming out victorious in a strategic battle with an Ogre can feel glorious and awe inspiring :ultrahappy:.

But now I show how Brogue, and others can and do, use these 9 ways of raising the stakes in plot from this article:

1) Create physical danger
Fire? Poisionous gas? A goblin with a spear?

2) Create a secondary character who brings in new tension
You're walking peacefully with your small dagger and then you encounter a monkey, trapped by kobolds. You have to rescue it before its demise. Fine. Then as you sneak your way through depth 7 a notification tells you that an Ogre is seen. If you're not ready for this you could be smashed into oblivion by one of the earliest "strong" creatures of the game.

3) Introduce new problems
Okay, so you and your monkey are duking it out with this Ogre, but then you're health is running low so you take your chances and start checking those scrolls you have, maybe one will help you, though you should really have identified those scrolls in a safer environment before now.
So you go through them, enchantment-you enchant your dagger, nice. Identification-you identify a scroll of anti-magic/negation. That doesn't seem too useful. Your health is draining. You then use a scroll and it's a scroll of discord! It makes monsters discordant and attack each other, but it works on allies too! Oh no! You're monkey is now hitting you too! How will you prevail?

4) Give a character a complicated situation
Yeah I think that's covered.

5) Create obstacles for your hero
This whole dungeon is an obstacle :o . For example the Ogre is an obstacle for you to get to the next depth.

6) Complicate things
You decide to test your luck in running away, but as you do it you come across a vampire bat, another strong-ish enemy, not good.

7) Remind the reader(player :P) of the stakes
The vampire bat attacks you. Your screen flashes with a warning: "Health below 40%".(That actually does come up in the game).

8) Find ways to keep your protagonist moving from one location to another
The monsters are chasing you! You have no choice but to move! (Unless you was cornered then it would be fight or die, or fight and die).

9) Add time pressure like a ticking bomb
That's it, you're a little distance away from the monsters and it's potion throwing time. If it's a good potion, like that of life, it would just splash harmlessly against your target, but if it's bad, like confusion (please be confusion), the gas would envelope them.
Well, it's fire. The bottle cracks against the Ogre's body and unleashes flame unto the surrounding grassy area, spreading like-like-well like fire. For each step you move to get away the flame moves three. You need to get out quickly. Your monkey burns to death, good ridance :cry:. The Ogre is burning, though it's life is moving slowly, and the vampire bat doesn't seem to be burning at all, it seems like it's unaffected because it's flying :brows:. You step, Fire, you are burning :cry: . Time is running out to get out of here.

Conclusion
You decide to chuck down potions, one is a potion of life - YES! Next is a potion of posion gas - NOOO :o . You crawl your way put of there before the posoin gets to you too much. The vampire bat dies from poison! It's working. Your life is less than 40%, again. You make it out leaving the ogre and red glow of the flame behind. You did it you made it out of that situation. You're levitation wares off as you continue explore the dungeon, but then, as you go around that battlefield to reach the stairs to depth 8, after the gas cleared, you see, battered and burned, breathing difficulty, vengence in it's eyes, the ogre at 50% health. :brows: . The ogre crudgels you from two spaces away. You try to run but the ogre charges at you with no monkey to distract it. It crudgels you. You're life is below 20%. You run. It crudgels you. The screen fades away as you - your character - dies.

Those are good things to pick from the game for immersive and player story telling, atleast for me :P .
Attachments
Escalated
Escalated
escal.png (780.75 KiB) Viewed 16924 times

Party member

Harymol wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:37 am My favorite unique game is DND. It is amazing in its variety, its mechanics. Where else can you go on a journey with your friends and be guided by a real dungeon master. Of course, now there are various computer versions of the game. They are much easier to play and even more convenient for someone. But I'm a fan of the hardcore card game, lol. However, it was quite difficult to teach new players. It is necessary to transmit a large amount of information. I can't imagine how I would have managed without the D&D Guide. All information about classes and rules is apparent and understandable.
Which version of the DND do you like best?
"
I tried Dungeons and Dragons once
And I died... of boredom
But I'll still kick your Assassin's Creed post-mortem
Mario Party's the only one you get invited to
Your life is like Skyrim
An endless quest of Solitude"

Just kidding, just a quote from a rhett and link rap battle that I got reminded of :rofl:

I almost missed this :P. I haven't really tried Dnd but from what I've heard I think 5e should be the best. I don't have enough people to play that kind of game...or enough time(*dan dan DAN*) :P

Though funny enough roguelikes and all RPGs(not the gun :P) where born from Dnd :ultrahappy:

FreezyDude
Prole

Post by FreezyDude »

That Undertale ripoff... what was its name? Earthbind? Earthbonk? I don't remember...

But it inspired me to make a game.
Party member

FreezyDude wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:08 pm That Undertale ripoff... what was its name? Earthbind? Earthbonk? I don't remember...

But it inspired me to make a game.
:rofl:

sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

I loled at "Earthbonk" but given the sound effects, it sounds a more fitting name for the game.