Apps for Animation?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Sarcose
Prole

Apps for Animation?

Post by Sarcose »

Hi! Wondering what everyone's preferred apps for art assets are right now? I'm currently looking for a phone app that can easily preview an already-made spritesheet, e.g. you define a framesize and select frames for animations. It can be done on graphicsgale, which is my preferred desktop app, but I find myself doing more spritework with Dotpict for Android; only thing is, I'm trying to prototype the animations so I can refine them, but I'm finding it hard to parse what's available on the play store.
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Apps for Animation?

Post by MrFariator »

I use graphicsgale myself as well, and I've dabbled with dotpict on android. I am not aware of any good choices for Android-based pixel art animation workflow, or previewing animations like you describe, so I think the best approach may be trying to run Wine on Android. If you can get it to run comfortably, then you could perhaps try using graphicsgale (or some other application) on your Android device, too. Of course, this approach probably requires a decently sized phone or tablet, I wager.

The other alternative I can think of would require developing your own tool with love2d, that lets you pick and define the frames to preview from a provided spritesheet.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Sarcose wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:53 pm Hi! Wondering what everyone's preferred apps for art assets are right now? I'm currently looking for a phone app that can easily preview an already-made spritesheet, e.g. you define a framesize and select frames for animations. It can be done on graphicsgale, which is my preferred desktop app, but I find myself doing more spritework with Dotpict for Android; only thing is, I'm trying to prototype the animations so I can refine them, but I'm finding it hard to parse what's available on the play store.
There's Pixel Studio.
That's what I use but it can't do rows, only columns, and it has a size limit. I'm looking for another one but I can't find one better.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 am
Sarcose wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:53 pm Hi! Wondering what everyone's preferred apps for art assets are right now? I'm currently looking for a phone app that can easily preview an already-made spritesheet, e.g. you define a framesize and select frames for animations. It can be done on graphicsgale, which is my preferred desktop app, but I find myself doing more spritework with Dotpict for Android; only thing is, I'm trying to prototype the animations so I can refine them, but I'm finding it hard to parse what's available on the play store.
There's Pixel Studio.
That's what I use but it can't do rows, only columns, and it has a size limit. I'm looking for another one but I can't find one better.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ixelStudio
or
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... studio.pro (8 money)
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

That's the same thing, just different sites, I don't like using google play ^^
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

Maybe a browser-based tool: http://tmtg.nl/tinyspriteeditor/

Google also suggested PiskelApp, but its website was offline when I tried to visit it: viewtopic.php?t=83198