a curiosity: no instructions on how to share an exe

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
togFox
Party member

a curiosity: no instructions on how to share an exe

Post by togFox »

Found it odd that these forums and the tutorials explain how to make a .love file and an exe file (for Windows) but not how to distribute to a PC that needs dll's.

In other words - I couldn't see anywhere a list of dll's I need to package with my exe. Did I simply overlook some web page somewhere?
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
pgimeno
Party member

Re: a curiosity: no instructions on how to share an exe

Post by pgimeno »

It's right there in the wiki: Game_Distribution
Once you have your game executable you can pack it together with all the other DLL files of the official LÖVE .zip file into a new .zip file and share this with the world.
(emphasis added)

The instructions for generating a Windows executable from Linux give further details:
When distributing the windows executable you will need to include the dll files that came in the folder of the love.exe you used (so don't mix the 32 bit dll's with the 64 bit dll's). Without these files you will get error message when attempting to run SuperGame.exe on a windows machine.

The contents of your final distribution folder should look something like this:
  • SDL2.dll
  • OpenAL32.dll (note: this file is different in the 64 bit download despite still being called 'OpenAL32.dll')
  • SuperGame.exe
  • license.txt (note: the license requires that it be included in any further distribution)
  • love.dll
  • lua51.dll
  • mpg123.dll
  • msvcp120.dll
  • msvcr120.dll
But if you ask me, it's not a good idea to specify the list in the wiki because it can change from one version to another, as library requirements change.
togFox
Party member

Re: a curiosity: no instructions on how to share an exe

Post by togFox »

Thanks. I'll assume that is okay license wise and did as instructed. :)
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season