HDR output support?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
fluffy
Prole

HDR output support?

Post by fluffy »

I know this is a long shot, but is there any way of rendering to an HDR display? I know that HDR/floatingpoint PixelFormats are supported for canvases, but now that HDR monitors are a thing, is it possible to request an HDR display buffer as well? From the docs it seems that the only intended support for HDR canvases is to have an SDR tonemapping shader applied to them, but it'd be really neat if we could get real HDR output instead of faking it with bloom or whatever.

(I tried searching the forum but unfortunately phpBB thinks that "HDR" is a "common" word since it's only 3 letters. Oh well.)
glitchapp
Party member

Re: HDR output support?

Post by glitchapp »

I'm also very interested in this feature, I don't know how can that be made but I wish there is any progress to support hdr output.

Another thing which is related but not exactly what is being requested on this thread that would be of interest to me is something some people call Adjusted Dynamic Range, which does not require an HDR monitor. From what I've read, an adjusted dynamic range does not attempt to fake HDR but just improve the image colors and exposure to what is possible in a non HDR monitor. It would be interesting if someone could make a shader that improve the quality of colors and exposure without much impact on performance. Is that possible?

I found this interesting example of what is possible without HDR and wonder if something like that could be ported to love: https://github.com/bradleyq/BSLextended