LÖVE Maker: How To

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
PyroTheWicked85
Prole

LÖVE Maker: How To

Post by PyroTheWicked85 »

LÖVE Maker is an editor for the LÖVE2D engine and can be used and distributed at no charge to anyone who wants it.

HOW TO:

First Run - When you run the program the first time it will ask you to download the latest version of LÖVE2D and give you the option of downloading it at that moment. If you have already installed LÖVE2D from the installer, click 'No' to continue onward. Otherwise, you may click yes to download and run the installer from the LÖVE2D home page. If you have downloaded the LÖVE2D zip file, before you can run your game you will need additional set-up.

USING THE INTERFACE
You may notice that the first form asks you what you would like to do. If this is your first time running LÖVE Maker, I would recommend clicking 'Continue'.

Creating a Project - When creating a new project it will ask if you want to automatically create default files for 'main.lua' and 'conf.lua'. it is recommended that you keep these checked. if you choose to create these files on your own you will have to do it outside of the interface. you can choose to create some empty default sub-directories at this time or add them after project creation.

Saving a Project - You can save your scripts by clicking 'File' and then clicking 'Save Project'. Projects will also save automatically when you compile your game.

Loading a Project - you can load a project from the main screen by clicking 'LÖAD' or from within the interface by clicking 'File' and selecting 'Load Project'.

Adding Sub-directories - Only on layer of sub-directories is used. you can add sub-directories by clicking 'Project' and selecting 'Add Subdirectory'

Adding Files✶ - You can add a variety of files to your sub-directories by clicking Project and selecting the file type you want to add

Removing Files - You will not be allowed to delete the 'main.lua' and 'conf.lua' files from inside the interface. you can remove files and sub-directories(with contents) from your project by right clicking on an item in the project tree and selecting 'Delete this item'.

Closing Tabs✝ - to close a tab, select a tab page and right click on the tabs at the top. Then select 'Close the selected tab'.

Compiling - You can compile a LÖVE2D game package by clicking 'Project' and selecting 'Compile .love' or if you have the LÖVE2D engine installed you can select 'Compile and Run'.

✶Not all LÖVE2D supported formats are supported by the interface
✝KNOWN ISSUE: you must select the tab you want to close before right clicking on the tabs.

Reporting a bug - Send me a private message or post a reply to https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89269
"I don't know 'everything' about anything, but i do know 'something' about everything..." :monocle: