Is LÖVE2D a good framework for Windows desktop apps?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
MadDogDean
Prole

Is LÖVE2D a good framework for Windows desktop apps?

Post by MadDogDean »

Hello all,

Long time Lua scripter, but just coming NEW to LÖVE2D.

How would you rate LÖVE as a viable alternative to develop games & apps for Windows Desktop? Does it have enough goodies & bits. I know on the mobile side LÖVE is outstanding, but on the Desktop side...

Thanks for any suggestions,
Cheers
zorg
Party member

Re: Is LÖVE2D a good framework for Windows desktop apps?

Post by zorg »

Hi and welcome to the forums!

How is it outstanding on the mobile side? (also, afaik löve was made first for desktop systems; mobile came later.)

Also, define goodies; if you want to make a good game, löve can help you do that; It uses a version of lua that's very fast, it uses OpenGL (currently, probably vulkan in the future) so you have access to fast hardware accelerated stuff, including shaders (and now 3D stuff as well, although that one takes quite some effort to pull off)

If you mean non-standard things like sprite walks out of the window, or stuff like that, not really.

Also, with a few libraries to cover a few shortcomings (filesystem stuff mostly), you can also use it to make applications as well (I myself am working on a music composing software with it)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
NobodysSon
Prole

Post by NobodysSon »

zorg wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:33 pm I myself am working on a music composing software with it
You never cease to amaze me, zorg :)
MadDogDean
Prole

Post by MadDogDean »

Hi Zorg, thanks :)

My reference to outstanding is based on some of the LÖVE apps I've seen. The API is chock full and it does everything you need it to.

You hit it with the filesystem stuff (and there are libraries to overcome this), as well as Registry work (built in knowledge to deal with WOW6432 issues) and general accepted Desktop actions like resizing, drag & drop (this is an important one), Minimize, Maximize, and generally be co-operative on the Desktop environments (both Win & mac), and although I am not a C, C++ etc guy, to know that the plugin system is capable for most thing is good.

I guess primarily I am looking for input from people and devs that have used both LÖVE and specific Desktop authoring tools (Windows Forms, WPF, etc) and can compare the two.

BTW, your bio describes you as " and champion procrastinator." - but isn't that a trait that ALL devs have?? Why finish it today when we can power-code tomorrow :)

Cheers & thanks
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

IDK much about WOW64 being an issue with löve, since it has both 32 and 64 bit versions for windows already, and afaik any löve game (if they don't use arch specific stuff via dlls or whatever) will run with either build, the former probably having some memory limit notwithstanding.

As for filesystem limits (PhysFS being the virtual one löve uses, giving you two locations to read from and one of them being the write directory as well), grump made nativefs to circumvent that limitation (i made love-fml, another lib, that instead monkeypatches love.filesystem to mount all filesystem roots... it fails with multiple different simultaneous write locations though due to PhysFS' inherent limitations... wanted to incorporate nativefs for write support but... well, procrastination. :3

Not sure about registry sorely because löve's pretty cross-platform, and i'm not sure what equivalents there are on OSX and unix/linux OS-es. (You can keep config files either in the game's "install" folder, or if you want per-user, you can use the save folder already.

Löve projects can indeed be resized(through window borders, if one wants that; also supports borderless and non-resizable),minimized,maximized,restored, the window dragged, and they do support dropping files and folders (with some limitations that the wiki explains - circumventable with above mentioned alternate FS libs/solutions)

Unfortunately idk much about WPF either, though i did dabble a few years with Delphi and its forms... imo there's no "great"/one-size-fits-all GUI solution for löve purely because making a GUI is just that hard to do; there are quite a few attempts though.
MadDogDean wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:52 pmBTW, your bio describes you as " and champion procrastinator." - but isn't that a trait that ALL devs have?? Why finish it today when we can power-code tomorrow :)
I guess that's my perception of myself; if i wasn't like that, we might already have another camera/viewport lib and even a gui lib for löve... who knows :brows:

Also, you're welcome. :3

NobodysSon wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:47 pmYou never cease to amaze me, zorg :)
Appreciate the sentiment but let's not hijack the thread for ego boosting... not that it works :P (Feel free to hit me up on discord though if you're interested or just wanna ask questions, can't promise to be there for 1-2 weeks though, pc issues)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MadDogDean
Prole

Post by MadDogDean »

@Zorg << why doesn't that link to you??? Hmmmmm..

Thanks for your insights. Truly appreciated!

Cheers, MadDogDean
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

To be clear, LÖVE is an OpenGL application, and it only supports one window. Everything needs to be drawn inside the window. You can't make multi-window applications like you can with Delphi or Lazarus.
MadDogDean
Prole

Post by MadDogDean »

pgimeno wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:19 pm To be clear, LÖVE is an OpenGL application, and it only supports one window. Everything needs to be drawn inside the window. You can't make multi-window applications like you can with Delphi or Lazarus.
Thanks for the input.
I'm not sure what you mean by a single vs multi-window app. A couple examples of one or the other would help this old brain.

Cheers
hoistbypetard
Prole

Post by hoistbypetard »

MadDogDean wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 am I'm not sure what you mean by a single vs multi-window app. A couple examples of one or the other would help this old brain.
Most games that you've played are single window. Meaning they can only have one window on the screen. Your web browser, for example, can have multiple windows. So can your word processor, your spreadsheet, your email program, your file explorer, etc.
MadDogDean
Prole

Post by MadDogDean »

Ah, thanks for that. I *thought* that's what pgimeno meant, but needed to be sure.

Cheers