So after these troubled times... How's behaving Löve?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Atic Atac
Prole

So after these troubled times... How's behaving Löve?

Post by Atic Atac »

As the title implies, do you believe, folks, LOVE is prepared to survive in this epoch and age, when almost nobody wants to code, only watching TV?

In fact, I'm glad to see after so many time, the forums are full and running. Nowadays, there are so few libraries in good shape.

What do you think in few words? CHEERS!! :awesome:
sphyrth
Party member

Re: So after these troubled times... How's behaving Löve?

Post by sphyrth »

1. Competitive Framework:
Löve is being used by Ludum Dare participants (you can even see them in the Games and Creations section.

2. Simple but Extensive (Downright Complete) Documentation:
Whoever is maintaining the wiki is doing an excellent job... to the point that it even helps people who are possibly using outdated versions.

3. Helpful Forum Moderators:
I have yet to see the forums having spammy posts. And if ever toxicity exists, it only happens once in a blue moon. Plus, they are ready to comment on people who are in need of help.

TLDR:
Löve is being löved by the people in-löve with it. So, it's behaving lövingly.
Atic Atac
Prole

Post by Atic Atac »

Great! And what were the best added features Löve benefited the most in last 3 years?
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

Being consistent
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

People do not only watch TV. They also play games. And they also want to earn their lives. Some try to earn their lives by making games that others can play. That's not likely to change.

As for features, better look at the list yourself: 11.0 and 11.2 (there are no new features in 11.1 because it was an emergency bugfix release). Edit: I forgot we're on 11.3! Check that one as well.

The most outstanding feature is probably the addition of the missing bits to allow 3D. See what people do with it here: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86350
Last edited by pgimeno on Fri May 01, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Not sure about the benefits if you mean in a monetary way, but for the musically inclined, the addition of queue-able Sources made real-time sound synthesis and playback simpler than ever.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Atic Atac wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:59 pm As the title implies, do you believe, folks, LOVE is prepared to survive in this epoch and age, when almost nobody wants to code, only watching TV?
I think there are still enough who want to code. On opengameart.org there recently was a thread about game making frameworks, and many suggested love2d, including myself. So it sure is popular among the gaming and "interactive creativity" scene (demos, visual novels ..)

But yes, I disturbingly often read that the interest in programming is dropping.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.