Optikon: A WYSIWYG Level Designer for LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Optikon: A WYSIWYG Level Designer for LÖVE

Post by pgimeno »

Is it fair to say that it would be better to have a clearer separation between the generated map and the engine necessary to load it?

Kind of like the file that Tiled generates, on one hand, and the library that loads them (plus a simple program to use the library to represent it, if you wish), on the other hand.

Unfortunately this project doesn't run on my system and there's no source, so I can't evaluate it.
Optikon
Prole

Post by Optikon »

Thank you for the feedback everybody and we certainly take it all on board.

Many people will feel strongly that a level designer for a framework is not appropriate, and we get that. We are not here to change minds or convince people otherwise. We only hope to offer a choice to anybody who is wanting to use a WYSIWG level designer with LÖVE, that could help them visually/quickly design and iterate levels, and willing to accept any perceived trade-offs or limitations. It's why we do this for no profit.

And for others, Optikon may only have very specific use cases.

Our only other response is that you as a user can edit as you please the generic code that Optikon generates during level design, and Optikon does not export to 'main.lua'.

That all said we don't pretend to know the answers or know what's best - we don't. We rely on your honest feedback and we can't get better without it. I really cannot thank you all enough for taking the time out of your day to comment on this post, and for your comments on Reddit and Discord.

Feature requests can be made here and we'll aim to turn those requests around within a reasonable timeframe, so if you would like to help us out, please do: https://optikon.co.uk/documentation/doc ... -requests/

Have a good weekend, everybody.
Optikon Level Designer - A simple and intuitive WYSIWYG visual level designer for LÖVE that does all the basic Lua coding for you
Optikon
Prole

Post by Optikon »

New update released - create custom components with your own generated code!:

Optikon Level Designer - A simple and intuitive WYSIWYG visual level designer for LÖVE that does all the basic Lua coding for you
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

huh, I guess this project is dead now?
matty47
Prole

Post by matty47 »

Does not seem to any answer from the developer. I tried the editor. Looked good however I keep getting script errors that reference
"https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/j ... 62162703-1" asking if I want to keep running scripts on the page. I cancel these and the program continues.
Pity that this has not been continued - perhaps someone could take it over if the developer is willing - hint