LÖVE 0.8.0 Released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
andmatand
Prole

Re: LÖVE 0.8.0 Released

Post by andmatand »

hooray!
Last edited by andmatand on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puzzlem00n
Party member

Post by Puzzlem00n »

Nice, just in time for Ludum Dare's tenth anniversary, too! Good timing.
I LÖVE, therefore I am.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

slime wrote:
coffee wrote:Ah congratulations to all! The OSX version is 3mb smaller than slime's beta early version. I hope nothing is missing. :)
Nothing's missing, the official version is just compressed better by using the official XCode tool for exporting the application. My new LuaJIT build does that now. :)
Nice to know. What I can gain in using JIT version instead the official one? Only speed or anything else? BTW your version even in size is the same as official one. Could be useful that you add some distinctive mark in version field of info box.
Well, let's start the transition. :)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

coffee wrote:
slime wrote:
coffee wrote:Ah congratulations to all! The OSX version is 3mb smaller than slime's beta early version. I hope nothing is missing. :)
Nothing's missing, the official version is just compressed better by using the official XCode tool for exporting the application. My new LuaJIT build does that now. :)
Nice to know. What I can gain in using JIT version instead the official one? Only speed or anything else? BTW your version even in size is the same as official one. Could be useful that you add some distinctive mark in version field of info box.
Well, let's start the transition. :)
You can use its FFI library to do some cool stuff or speed up things even more. LuaJIT also includes a bitwise operations module, the jit.os string for determining OS (which is now in standard LÖVE as well), string.dump/luac bytecode which is portable between architectures (not portable between versions though), a better math.random which generates the same output on all platforms, and a few other misc things.

Good point about the version identification, I'll do that in a sec. :)
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

I just came.

EDIT: Ok, so this post isn't completely useless, I'll probably start working on Scrap again once the love.physics API is updated on the wiki.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Ensayia wrote:I just came.

EDIT: Ok, so this post isn't completely useless, I'll probably start working on Scrap again once the love.physics API is updated on the wiki.
Same thoughts here. I loaded up Kurosuke this evening with the intent of getting it playable again, but I'm already frustrated. How doth I setSensor, my lords?
Kurosuke needs beta testers
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand there's all the new features and that stuff, On the other hand, Now i have to get used to the new syntax and all that..Actually after looking over the changelog it turns out the stuff that changed isn't something i've been using too much in the past anyway.

On a slightly related note, Are there any tutorials or something on shaders? I'd love to play with those a bit :D
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

congarts!

good work
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

veethree wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand there's all the new features and that stuff, On the other hand, Now i have to get used to the new syntax and all that..Actually after looking over the changelog it turns out the stuff that changed isn't something i've been using too much in the past anyway.

On a slightly related note, Are there any tutorials or something on shaders? I'd love to play with those a bit :D
love.physics is where most of the API changed.

and for shaders: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3733
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

What a very nice surprise. Congrats and thanks to the team on this release!