[Game Jam] Announcing The Castle Halloween Party - 10/25-11/7

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ccheever
Prole

[Game Jam] Announcing The Castle Halloween Party - 10/25-11/7

Post by ccheever »

Learn Some New Tricks, Get Some Treats

We’re excited to announce the Castle Halloween Party, a two-week long event where everybody is invited to hang out, make games, and play games with us in Castle, a new LÖVE-based platform for mobile and desktop.

Castle is a new, open source game platform that uses LÖVE 11 but every game can be loaded instantly over the network, like a web browser. There are clients for Windows and Mac, and Android and iOS clients are in alpha testing. Linux is planned. Castle also includes built-in chat and user profiles and avatars.
Downloads

Create something spooky

What better way to spend halloween than in a Castle? Castle Halloween Party is a creative celebration where you can make any game that inspires horror, spookiness, a mild chill, or just something weird and fun.

Learn how to makes games with Castle

During the first week of Castle Halloween Party, Castle team members will be streaming short video classes on how to make stuff in Castle. Tune in to meet the team and learn about subjects ranging from creating your first project to making 3D worlds in Castle. We’ll put all the classes on YouTube afterward in case you miss the stream. October 25–31, Schedule TBD.

Win some treats

It wouldn’t be a real Halloween celebration without some loot. As such, we have a limited amount of stuff we’re giving away during Castle Halloween Party.

We want anybody to feel welcome to show up, learn, make stuff, and generally hang out and be included. For that reason, we’ll mail out Castle T-Shirts for anybody who puts substantive effort into making a Castle game during Castle Halloween Party. These are some seriously soft shirts, folks. And we don’t know when you’ll have another opportunity to get one.

If you’re feeling especially serious, we also have some cash awards to pique your interest:
  • $250 to the best overall game as voted by Castle staff.
  • $250 to the most liked game as voted by all the Halloween Party attendees.
  • $500 to the game that accumulates the most daily players over the course of the event.
  • $250 to the game that accumulates the second-most daily players.
There is no formal submission process; any game added to Castle during Castle Halloween Party is automatically eligible as long as it abides by our community guidelines.

Awards will be announced on Nov 12, 2019.

Links

Website - https://castle.games/party
Downloads - http://castle.games/download
Forums - https://forums.castle.games
Discord - https://discord.gg/4C7yEEC
Twitter - https://twitter.com/_castlegames
Github - https://github.com/castle-games
Official Rules
Community Guidelines
Last edited by ccheever on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
zorg
Party member

Re: [Game Jam] Announcing The Castle Halloween Party - 10/25-11/7

Post by zorg »

Sounds good, hope you get a lot of submissions;

Unfortunately i won't be participating since between the last and the 3rd point in what you're calling manifesto (which is different than your linked community guidelines) it is inconsistent, in my opinion.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
ccheever
Prole

Post by ccheever »

Thanks zorg.

Looking at it now, I think you have a point.

You're talking about the "People decide what's fun" and "Community members deserve to be safe" bullets, right?

Let me think about it but I'll try to resolve the inconsistency in a good way.

Is one of those things more important to you? Or just the inconsistency bothers you?
ccheever
Prole

Post by ccheever »

Here's a video of Nikki doing some stuff in Castle.

- Joining a multiplayer game with some friends
- Playing a single player game that saved my last level + has saved scores
- Playing an experimental collaborative editing game where you can edit a scene graph together. The game uses the GUI API to provide tools.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

ccheever wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:41 am Thanks zorg.

Looking at it now, I think you have a point.

You're talking about the "People decide what's fun" and "Community members deserve to be safe" bullets, right?

Let me think about it but I'll try to resolve the inconsistency in a good way.

Is one of those things more important to you? Or just the inconsistency bothers you?
Yep.

I'd rather say it's just the inconsistency; whatever you'll decide (since it's not my project) to be the more important part is still better than the rules not having consistency in my opinion. To clarify though, i am for freedom of expression more heavily, but even a kind of filtering (or rating) system should be enough to protect those who wouldn't want to be exposed inadvertently to topics they don't want to see, or personally would feel to be unsafe (which seems inherently subjective to me)... that said, if someone decides to expose themselves anyway, then that's on them. :o:

Still, all that may not be relevant to your project since you might want to have your user-base be younger people predominantly; whether or not that'd be the case, just editing the write-up a bit will probably help make things more clear. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.