How to test if to lines intersect

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
darkfrei
Party member

Re: How to test if to lines intersect

Post by darkfrei »

Charge as value from 0 to 100% is also scalar, if you respect the sign of charge, it will be pseudo scalar or scalar with sign.
The charge can be used as amount of energy, that is never negative.

If you can explain the negative volume, negative speed or negative length it will be easy to find the problem by understanding.

As I know, the scalar is not-negative-value, the amount of something. It can be length, area, volume, thickness and mass (in classic physics), speed (positive in any direction), power and energy (in classic physics).
The charge as value of energy is also positive only, the charged capacitor has charge without regard to polarization if you think about disconnected component, not the system where it will be used.

But in the system you can use the pseudoscalar, for example the velocity, where positive value means that you go to the forward direction or to the target and negative for the opposite movement.
The electric generator has scalar (only positive) output, the electrical consumer has scalar (only positive) consumption, but if you use the pseudoscalar in system of both components, then you can say than the generates positive energy and the consumer creates negative energy, that is the same as positive consumption of it.

But you cannot say that the consumer creates negative energy and you can use it somewhere else, but with opposite polarization.
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

So in a scalar ..err...system, negative value isn't negative. It's just the positive value in a different direction? But then it's pseudoscalar if it keeps the negative sign. :?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Not really. We're talking mathematics here where scalars have a sign, and nothing restricts a scalar function from being negative, for example the scalar product can easily produce negative values. Multiplication of the basis vectors by a scalar could not produce all points in space if they were restricted to positive values, and so on.

Even in physics you can have negative scalars, like negative heights, negative charge and so on, even though darkfrei seems to disagree.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Ahhh, okay. :3
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh: