i am already pretty sold but i might like reassurance that LÖVE is the proper preference.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
quinton77
Prole

i am already pretty sold but i might like reassurance that LÖVE is the proper preference.

Post by quinton77 »

Hello everyone,

I have no revel in with making games. My most effective experience with programming is making macros in WoW so LUA straight away regarded very attractive. My predominant annoyance with engines I attempted, is that they are attempting to suffocate me in an limitless supply of menus before i'm allowed to make some thing. That led to me being very pleased with the fact that i will whip up notepad++ and make an real application that does some thing, but unimpressive, inside 5 minutes of clicking the hyperlink to the principle web page.

Are this stuff possible?

1: I need a characteristic in a game (once I clearly recognise what i'm doing ofc.) in which you can sorta' hack the sport from the internal out. essentially being capable of regulate the code of the sport at the same time as it's jogging the use of an in-recreation command prompt. players may want to get entry to hidden assets that manner, modify the conduct of NPCs in addition to completely damage the game with the aid of not the use of proper syntax. Then, once they next attempt to run the exe they'd be greeted with an Easter egg and the sport might repair itself by using really reinstalling itself. I consider the latter is the simpler component. i've loads of thoughts of what to do with this concept.

2: Dynamic lighting fixtures for pixel artwork the use of everyday maps. i'm guessing sure.

three: A effective object manipulation system like in Papers, Please! additionally guessing sure.

here're the primary couple of things i am planning to learn how to do, tell me if it's a very good region to begin.

Make a nicely scaled pixel art dude walk round a room with obstacles in it through the use of both wasd or pathfinding with mouse clicks.
Pull up a brand new scene while you click on a a couple of page report on a desk, contact it all over. Drag it around the display, open it, write on it, tear a chunk off and many others. the usage of the mouse.
yintercept
Citizen

Re: i am already pretty sold but i might like reassurance that LÖVE is the proper preference.

Post by yintercept »

I take it english is a second language or did you run this through google translate?

In any case, yes, all the things you have asked are possible.
Back in the saddle again.
TheHUG
Citizen

Re: i am already pretty sold but i might like reassurance that LÖVE is the proper preference.

Post by TheHUG »

Oh god yes I share your feelings toward the menu hell of other engines.

Yes these things should be doable with the basic love2d features, with the exception of the pathfinding, for which you may want to use one of the libraries made by other users :) (this one maybe https://love2d.org/wiki/Jumper)

I also know for a fact you can enter and run game code - I used that to debug at some point.