Today's downtime

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
thelinx
The Strongest

Today's downtime

Post by thelinx »

The server went down for 27 hours today and there is a very simple explanation for that, which you might have heard if you had visited IRC or Discord.

The main harddrive in the server reported a broken sector and Linux locked it into read-only mode to prevent further data loss. As soon as I found out about this, I shut down the server and ordered a new harddrive by the datacenter service people.

Due to some communication mishaps (and because I have to sleep and work) there was a large period of time where nothing was happening. Finally, this evening I started transferring over everything from the old drive to the new one. After that finished I had a minor issue with getting the server to boot again properly, but I got that figured out too (filesystem check was asking for input on a headless server, makes sense).

Basically, everything is fine now.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Today's downtime

Post by pgimeno »

Thanks a lot for fixing things up and bringing back love to our lives!
lazershark3k
Prole

Post by lazershark3k »

Aye, thanks!
*pew pew*
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

thelinx wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:01 pm The main harddrive in the server reported a broken sector ...
Wait, you're using a physical server instead of cloud hosting?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

ivan wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:50 am Wait, you're using a physical server instead of cloud hosting?
Indeed. I've had some bad experiences with cloud hosting, and I also use the server for other things, so a machine all to my own is nice.
Tricky
Citizen

Post by Tricky »

Perhaps a tweet would also have been nice, as I was completely at a loss about what was happening, and I never knew about a discord channel (and I've never used IRC in my entire life).

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up. ;)
Cartread
Prole

Post by Cartread »

Good work getting back online! I needed the wiki, but was able to use https://github.com/tst2005/love-doc and web.archive :)
Tricky
Citizen

Post by Tricky »

Cartread wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm Good work getting back online! I needed the wiki, but was able to use https://github.com/tst2005/love-doc and web.archive :)
Now I gotta bookmark that page ;)
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Thanks a lot for fixing this, thelinx. Maintaining a website up is a task that often is taken for granted.
When I write def I mean function.