LÖVE 11.0 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
raidho36
Party member

Re: LÖVE 11.0 released!

Post by raidho36 »

And it's not like you'd care much about audio on mobile - those tiny speakers at the back can't produce good quality sound anyway. Ditto bluetooth speakers.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I don't understand all the changed of the audio api. It's very hard to get compatibility back.

For example, TESound uses different states for audio channels.

* Stopped
* Paused
* Play

Now Paused and Resume are gone. Stop rewinds ...

How can i now "pause" an source and resume? I can only use stop, but this rewinds the source which i don't want.

Also "NOT source:isPlaying" is not the same as source:isPaused as a source can be stopped or paused. So it's not clear when using "NOT source:isPlaying" wether it's stopped or paused.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Jasoco wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:27 pm Is there a built macOS version of this that fixes the issue too? It's really becoming an annoyance because it happens far more than 5-10% of the time and my project relies on a lot of canvases for everything.
https://bitbucket.org/slime73/love_macbin/get/tip.zip
SiENcE wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:00 pm I don't understand all the changed of the audio api. It's very hard to get compatibility back.

For example, TESound uses different states for audio channels.

* Stopped
* Paused
* Play

Now Paused and Resume are gone. Stop rewinds ...

How can i now "pause" an source and resume? I can only use stop, but this rewinds the source which i don't want.

Also "NOT source:isPlaying" is not the same as source:isPaused as a source can be stopped or paused. So it's not clear when using "NOT source:isPlaying" wether it's stopped or paused.
Source:pause still exists, it just sets the playing state to false without rewinding (whereas Source:stop sets the playing state to false and rewinds). Source:play resumes a Source from its current playback time. There's no need for isPaused versus isStopped anymore.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

slime wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:12 pmSource:play resumes a Source from its current playback time. There's no need for isPaused versus isStopped anymore.
Ok, this info was missing. Would be good to add this to the wiki.

But how do i know if the source was stopped or paused? Do i have to ask Source:tell ?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

SiENcE wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:50 pm
slime wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:12 pmSource:play resumes a Source from its current playback time. There's no need for isPaused versus isStopped anymore.
Ok, this info was missing. Would be good to add this to the wiki.

But how do i know if the source was stopped or paused? Do i have to ask Source:tell ?
Paused at the very beginning == Stopped then, basically
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
shru
Prole

Post by shru »

Iori Branford wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:02 pm I noticed color values when drawing sprites are now clamped to the min and max ranges. In the attached test, the sprite pulses pink in 0.10.2 but not 11.0. But I also noticed that the color values when drawing shapes are clamped in both versions, to 0-255 and 0-1 respectively.

So is this new sprite color behavior intended for consistency and I have been exploiting a bug for my color effect?

E: Test now includes shape drawing for comparison.
I was sad to see that this behavior had been removed as well. Using values over 255 was a very easy way to get a nice flash effect for a particular sprite. I haven't really figured out a good replacement for this yet, perhaps drawing multiple times with a particular blending mode could produce something similar?
itchtwittergithub
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

-
Last edited by Ulydev on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

shru wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm
Iori Branford wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:02 pm I noticed color values when drawing sprites are now clamped to the min and max ranges. In the attached test, the sprite pulses pink in 0.10.2 but not 11.0. But I also noticed that the color values when drawing shapes are clamped in both versions, to 0-255 and 0-1 respectively.

So is this new sprite color behavior intended for consistency and I have been exploiting a bug for my color effect?

E: Test now includes shape drawing for comparison.
I was sad to see that this behavior had been removed as well. Using values over 255 was a very easy way to get a nice flash effect for a particular sprite. I haven't really figured out a good replacement for this yet, perhaps drawing multiple times with a particular blending mode could produce something similar?
I'm guessing you need shaders for that now, but I do fail to see why the values are clamped at all.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Dr. Peeps
Citizen

Post by Dr. Peeps »

What would values beyond 1 (or 255) mean? You can't get whiter than white, or more opaque than 100%.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Dr. Peeps wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 pm What would values beyond 1 (or 255) mean? You can't get whiter than white, or more opaque than 100%.
It makes sense in the case of drawing textures at least, because LÖVE's color isn't the displayed color - it's multiplied by the colors in the texture. You could for example double the amount of red displayed:

0.4, 0.5, 0.9, 1.0 -- Texture pixel RGBA.
2.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 -- LÖVE RGBA.
0.8, 0.5, 0.9, 1.0 -- Displayed result (which still isn't white).
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."