LÖVE 11.0 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
MissDanish
Citizen

Re: LÖVE 11.0 released!

Post by MissDanish »

slime wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:44 pm I put in a fix that I believe should resolve the canvas issue: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/commits ... 381b0767f3

There's a prebuilt Windows binary with the fix here, if people can confirm that the fix works that'd be great: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/AlexSzp ... /artifacts

nikki93 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 am On iOS I had to add 'Metal.framework' to avoid linker errors about Metal-related symbols from the SDL dependency like '"_OBJC_CLASS_$_MTLTextureDescriptor", referenced from: objc-class-ref in SDL_render_metal.o'.
Thanks for the report, I think I've fixed that as well in the latest source.
Works fine for me it seems, the canvas issues I was having are gone. Great work :D
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

So it really wasn't a joke! :D

I'm getting an error when compiling as static. Relevant snippet:

Code: Select all

$ ./configure --disable-shared --enable-static
$ make -j
libtool: link: g++ -o love love.o  ./.libs/liblove.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so -lSDL2 -lopenal -lz -lmodplug /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvorbisfile.so -ltheoradec -logg -lluajit-5.1 -lmpg123
/usr/bin/ld: ./.libs/liblove.a(lt33-threads.o): undefined reference to symbol 'pthread_sigmask@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
I've fixed it by manually issuing the same command that libtool reports it ran, but appending -lpthread:

$ g++ -o love love.o  ./.libs/liblove.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so -lSDL2 -lopenal -lz -lmodplug /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvorbisfile.so -ltheoradec -logg -lluajit-5.1 -lmpg123 -lpthread
$ ./love
(no game screen \o/ )
Most previous versions compiled as static without problems.

Compiling as shared works out of the box, but it emits a warning:

/bin/bash ../libtool  --tag=CXX  --mode=link g++     -o love love.o  liblove.la -lluajit-5.1 -lmpg123 

*** Warning: Linking the executable love against the loadable module
*** liblove.so is not portable!
libtool: link: g++ -o .libs/love love.o  ./.libs/liblove.so -lluajit-5.1 -lmpg123
I think that warning isn't new, though.
eouppdru
Prole

Post by eouppdru »

slime wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:44 pm I put in a fix that I believe should resolve the canvas issue: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/commits ... 381b0767f3
can confirm that fixes the issue
PGP: 9D05F9CC4FB3DEA617ADCDDA355A9D99CBE1CC1B
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Not sure if related to the new version, but the site css seems to be broken again...
temp.png
temp.png (71.33 KiB) Viewed 11515 times
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

I wasn't aware of this until I saw it announced on Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16731397

Crazy to see how far this engine has come since rude and I worked on it so many years ago. Makes me a little nostalgic :neko:

Amazing job everyone! Keep it up ^^
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

I can't get audio effects to work. Any example usage would be helpful.

Source:setEffect() complains about filter type which makes me think only filters are working and not things like reverb. love.audio.setEffect() seem to do nothing, even when given one of the effect types it wants. :?
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

One thing to know about effects is that when you are using them, there exist two sound pathways - one direct and processed - and they are mixed at the output. Direct sound just comes from the source to the output. Processed sound goes from source through effect to the output.

love.audio.setEffect ( "testeffect", { type = "echo" } )
source:setEffect ( "testeffect" )
This passes sound through an audio effect. There is a limit on how many effects can be active at a time, it is system dependant. If you delete an effect, make sure sources won't use it anymore as well.

source:setFilter ( { type = "highpass", volume = 0.1, lowgain = 0.5 } )
This applies direct filter to the sound. This does not affects the sound that goes into an effect.

source:setEffect ( "testeffect", { type = "lowpass", volume = 0.5, highgain = 0.1 } )
This applies a filter to the sound before passing it through an audio effect. This does not affects the direct sound from the source.

The idea is that some amount of sound goes directly from the source of sound to the listener, and some of it is secondary sound reflected off walls and whatnot. This is why these two sound paths are separate. You can adjust how much sound goes to the listener directly and effect processed by adjusting volume using filters. Using a filter is basically free so don't worry about the overhead.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Super cool! I have been waiting for this release for a while. I'm very excited to see the lower-level stuff get some attention, together with the different textures.

Maybe someone will finally make a fast way to draw textured polygons with some depth buffering! :awesome:
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

The new version number just made my day.
Great work!

Thanks a lot ;)
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Congratulations and thank you for the neat release!
I'm especially happy about the added audio functionality. Unfortunately the documentation seems to be missing at this point: https://love2d.org/wiki/love.audio

Lots of new (and some old) stuff to try it out now^^