Programming High?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Programming High?

Post by nevon »

rude wrote:The result was Adolf Quest II, which had Adolf Hitler (in sieg-heil-pose) riding on a flying dolphin, shooting Stars of David on awkwardly animated and continuously powering-up strongmen from the Megadrive version of Altered Beast.
And there we have it. Definitive proof that intoxication makes you a better developer.
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

I've done it before whilst programming, however I don't think it really "helped". I was mored focused on programming but the math and logic doesn't come together as well.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I usually think up most of my ideas in an altered state and then write the code when I'm sober. Now and then I'll write some pseudo-code down but for most things I usually just think about how I will go about achieving the effect I want.

Needless to say I often forget bits and end up reconsidering functions and objects, often re-designing them when I come to some realisation whereby I can write something more effectively. The result is a load of half-finished projects that I dip into to pick bits of code out and re-use. I'm getting much better through doing this and have recently started a simple project rather than the bigger ideas I had before. My hopes are that this one is simple enough for me to actually build something more than a tech demo. I did this before with a zombie game, but I got annoyed with the messy code and kind of forgot about it.

I pretty much spent every minute of last week on the toke, and now I'm full of ideas and have lots of code planned out. I even wrote some of it. I looked back at it the other day and noticed some pretty funny syntax errors.

Works for me. I guess it depends on the state you're normally in. If you're not used to being in a certain way, the effects will be more drastic and your coding ability will be compromised appropriately. But that's just my 2 pence. :P
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.