New to game dev

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Azraelle
Prole

New to game dev

Post by Azraelle »

Hello all,

As the title suggests I'm brand new to game development and have decided to start out with Love and Lua.

A quick search of YouTube has given me a very long list of tutorial videos to watch and I also have the programming in Lua book to work through. I'll apologise now for the numerous questions I'll end up posting here, I promise to search the forum first.

I'm not entirely new to programming but its been a long time (text adventures on the ZX Spectrum sort of long time)

The main reason I'm starting with Love is while I have nothing against the big game engines I would prefer to learn how to do things myself. Once I have an understanding of it then fine I'll let the engine automate away a lot of it.. maybe I'll decide to just stick with Love.

This will be a hobby for me at least for now mostly making games for my kids and I have my 9-5 to pay the bills so I'm in no rush.

Thanks for listening
Highthreshem
Prole

Re: New to game dev

Post by Highthreshem »

That was quite a nice and motivational read haha. Welcome to the game dev community. I hope you'll have a good adventure through development. :)
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi, welcome to the forums! Ask away!
When I write def I mean function.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Welcome! Dont worry we will help you
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Welcome to the community! Don't worry about the numerous questions! That just shows you have the drive to learn :)
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

Congrats for the best choice :D

I'm not a fan of YouTube videos,
I love Löve's API and I love to just scroll through the docs :D (Did I write love 3 times in the last phrase? Wops, 4)
There are some good tutorials out there, and people are willing to help you.
Best community I've seen in a while :D

Start making your game and ask for help when you have problems such as time travelling characters, upside down cars etc) :D
OmegaMax
Prole

Post by OmegaMax »

Not a big fan of videos either,studying others source code is a quick way to learn and I read this http://sheepolution.com/learn/book/contents