I did a Major Revision on "Tutorial:Platformer Jumping"

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ken.athomos
Citizen

I did a Major Revision on "Tutorial:Platformer Jumping"

Post by ken.athomos »

Hello everyone!

Quick introduction! My name is ken.athomos, I'm fairly new to LÖVE (been tinkering around for approx. 4 or 5 days now) but not to programming in general. I was kinda having a hard time with tutorials and stuff so I decided to contribute to the community.

So just a heads up for people who love the Wiki and for newbies there (like me) who want to learn to code with LÖVE, I did major revision on a tutorial. (Not sure if this is worth mentioning but for those wondering, I asked permission from rude and I was given the go signal to do it.)

What used to be known as [https://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Platformer_Jumping] is now [https://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Baseline_2D_Platformer].

Before I talk about the changes I've done, I want to give credit to Thelinx who made the first version of the tutorial in November of 2011, and to Eamonn who updated the tutorial to be updated with 0.10.0.

I changed the name because the previous version of the tutorial - though focusing on how to make the player jump - was still a tutorial on how to do a 2d platformer. I decided to build on that instead.

Changelog (for anyone interested):
(08/10/2016)
- Added gifs that show movement and jumping.
(08/07/2016)
- Renamed the tutorial from "Tutorial:Platformer Jumping" to "Tutorial: Baseline 2D Platformer"
- Added navigation to the tutorial.
- Made the format more presentable and organized.
- Added some screenshots.
- Added a lot of explanations.
- Made the explanations easier to understand (sadly, at the expense of technical or proper explanations)
- "Remade" the code in the sense that I made it more newbie-friendly.
- Comments galore! The comments are there to explain some stuff.

Stuff to do:
- Implement the "jetpack" thing that was found on the previous version. The jetpack thing was about how "the longer you hold the jump button, the character jumps higher". For those wondering what I'm talking about or would like a copy of the code, here it is.

Feel free to edit the tutorial if you think some things are wrong or could be phrased better. I'm sorry if it isn't too technical for some of you. I revised the previous version of the tutorial for newbies in mind.

Constructive criticism is also accepted. Thanks!
Crossing
Prole

Re: I did a Major Revision on "Tutorial:Platformer Jumping"

Post by Crossing »

Great job. Honestly, some of the bigger problems that newer people are having with love right now are out of date tutorials, or incomplete tutorials that no longer work due to updated love. we honestly need more material for learning.
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Thanks man :)

I'm planning on doing more tutorials for the wiki on basic stuff. Just super basic ones like how to make an object follow the mouse or something similar. I know it sounds trivial but I think it can help in the long run.
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

The way I learned was by adding on to small stuff. I planed on making some you tube tutorials and i might pretty soon, I just haven't got around to it.
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

Youtube tutorials have the issue of being final after you published them. No one else can pick off where you left and update the information you provided. Maybe I can encourage you to take a look at the https://github.com/love2d-community/love2d-book .
It's rarely updated, but with a few more active contributors it could really serve that purpose
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Jack5500 wrote:Youtube tutorials have the issue of being final after you published them. No one else can pick off where you left and update the information you provided. Maybe I can encourage you to take a look at the https://github.com/love2d-community/love2d-book .
It's rarely updated, but with a few more active contributors it could really serve that purpose
This is why I decided to put things on the Wiki instead of YouTube.
rungo73
Prole

Post by rungo73 »

This is great resource, thanks!

Would anybody be able to point me to a tutorial that takes this further? - in particular loading maps with sti and using bump ?
misc
Prole

Post by misc »

After copy-pasting the source, the purple rectangle moves right-left but does not jump!
Any ideas on what might be wrong?

EDIT:
The code for jumping does not work for Love2d version 0.8 which i was using (OpenBSD package). I will compile and install the newest available version which i checked that it does work.