[Forum suggestion] Collapsible tags?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

[Forum suggestion] Collapsible tags?

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Hello again! I've been using these Forums for almost 2 years now, and whenever I go to make a post, there's one feature that I always want to include but never got: collapsible tags.

I visit only 2 other forums besides Löve, and in all of them (and some others I visit occasionally), they have collapsible tags, which is really helpful if you're trying, for example, to include several images in a post without making it look messy, or if you need to include a long text/code, but doesn't want to make the overall post annoying to read.

I don't know how hard it'd actually be to implement them into the Forums's code, but I'd be more than happy if they could. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only user who would be happy with them either. Here's a couple examples of Forums that have them. In both cases, the Forums's maintainers could contact those forums's maintainers and maybe ask for some help, or ask me to talk to them, and I'm pretty sure they'd help: http://forum.stabyourself.net/ and http://www.myapertureinnovations.com/forums/

Example of collapsible tags in Stabyourself.net: http://forum.stabyourself.net/viewtopic ... 97#p115597
Example of collapsible tags in myApertureInnovations: http://www.myapertureinnovations.com/fo ... 7705#p7705
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
s-ol
Party member

Re: [Forum suggestion] Collapsible tags?

Post by s-ol »

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Yeah when I opened this even I didn't know what "collapsible tags" were in context. :P

Spoiler tags are a "can't go wrong" kind of thing, though. We could get some benefit out of it here.

(That and a less shite organization of the forums)
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

So, has any admin/mod seen this? I don't want to sound pushy, but I'd like to know if this feature could be added or not...
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
speeddown
Prole

Post by speeddown »

I agree a million times over, they are sorely needed.

For example, the topic I started to showcase my current project. Should I delete everything that's there when I have a new version? I suppose the reasoning is that it could be abused as some sort of make shift development management tool. I'm not all that familiar with message boards but I assume you either host your own server or pay someone else to host it for you. So my guess is that they are trying to avoid having people use the board for project management type dealings. In this day of night unlimited storage, I really can't see that it would be all that much of an issue though.

Regardless, I'd still like to see a collapsible option here. I've been searching for the last 30 minutes for an option, not looking good unfortunately.... :(
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Project management? As in a place for you to house your project? Idk what the admins but think that is acceptable use.
speeddown
Prole

Post by speeddown »

Right, instead of the other options out there.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

speeddown wrote:I agree a million times over, they are sorely needed.

For example, the topic I started to showcase my current project. Should I delete everything that's there when I have a new version? I suppose the reasoning is that it could be abused as some sort of make shift development management tool. I'm not all that familiar with message boards but I assume you either host your own server or pay someone else to host it for you. So my guess is that they are trying to avoid having people use the board for project management type dealings. In this day of night unlimited storage, I really can't see that it would be all that much of an issue though.

Regardless, I'd still like to see a collapsible option here. I've been searching for the last 30 minutes for an option, not looking good unfortunately.... :(
I don't think that's what the real problem is...
Adding spoiler tags takes less than about 5 minutes of work if you're a monkey, we've just got to get a mod to see this and agree with it, which is the tougher part.

But yeah, spoiler tags are all sorts of fun and an easy bbcode. I'd advocate them.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
speeddown
Prole

Post by speeddown »

Is it possible our cries for collapsibles was heard ?!?

Let us try:

[spoiler]
Here's my spoiler
[/spoiler]
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

It was a nice spoiler.