Requesting 1.0.0 instead of 0.10.0

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ranguna259
Party member

Requesting 1.0.0 instead of 0.10.0

Post by Ranguna259 »

Or at least give us an explanation as to why you won't change it.

With the implementation of the Android and iOS ports to the main love source I think it's time to leave the beta releases (that's what it is, everything to the right of the first "number" is usually considered beta or alpha) and move to an official 100% complete framework release, which in my opinion is what LÖVE will become once this version is released.

I can't see any other upcomming feature that might be considered as big has this one (at least not in the near future) unless you guys are planning on adding 3D functionality to LÖVE.

Now that that has been said (it's been said before but everyone just started discussing different types of tags instead of actually talking about LÖVE's upcomming version), tell us why the next version will be labled 0.10.0 and not 1.0.0, please :) .
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Requesting 1.0.0 instead of 0.10.0

Post by slime »

The current versioning scheme reflects the fact that things are not really considered 'done' and new versions (aside from patch/revision versions) will likely break existing code written for older versions.
There are more changes and additions I'd like to see happen after 0.10.0, and some of them may be major and could break compatibility with code written for 0.10.0.

I expect many changes post-0.10.0 will be to improve the mobile experience, since 0.10.0 will only have the first official iteration of it.

That being said, the API is getting more stable and it would be nice to have a '1.0' release at some point. :)
I also wouldn't expect LÖVE to stop being developed post-1.0.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Well, I hope you guys won't stop developing LÖVE after 1.0. I want to see knew features even past 1.0, 2.0, x.0. I love this framework, it's the only tool that I can use to develope full and prototype games and apps with ease with record breaking development time.

I don't think that any framework or engine out there ever stops breaking compatitbility with older versions, a framework/engine never stop evolving and "mutating" be it to become more efficient or to have new functionalities, so I belive it's alright to go to 1.0 even thought you guys might break compatibility in a future update unless one of those addition you talked about will be so major that it'd overcome Android and iOS support in terms of importance and functionality.

And since you exepect changes post 0.10.0 to be related with the mobile part of the framework then that would be one more reason to move to 1.0 since most of the future updates will be to fix or improve the mobile experience (such as bugs that might come up or google adds support), those updates will fill the "second" number until a major update is released. I mean Unity is already in it's fifth iteration, Unreal is in it's fourth, the latest version of cocos2D is 3.7.1 and I don't belive any of these ever stops breaking compatibility even though they have past the 0.x.x tag.

As for stability, LÖVE is stable enough to be classified a "full" or "complete" framework, not a game engine but a framework. LÖVE doesn't need internal functions to program AIs or functions to create a "player", those kind of functions are what game engines have, a framwork however allows the users to create these functions however they want and LÖVE does a great job when it comes to this.

If you devs are still thinking on releasing with the 0.10.0 tag instead of the 1.0 then it's fine by me but you have my full support if you want to realease as 1.0
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Ranguna259 wrote:And since you exepect changes post 0.10.0 to be related with the mobile part of the framework then that would be one more reason to move to 1.0 since most of the future updates will be to fix or improve the mobile experience
I expect some post-0.10.0 changes will focus on the mobile experience specifically, but probably not the majority of them.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Ah.. Then 0.10.0 it is.
For future reference, the reasons are:
  • Compatibility breaking
  • Future major updates
Unfortunatly LÖVE 1.0 still only exists in my deepes dreams but I can't wait for Font:getWrap() returning a table with all the lines, that's gonna be extremly helpful and I won't have to go through the pain of writing all that myself, also round edges for rectangles are going to be awesome too.

Check out my twitter.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

I think the big hesitation to move to a "stable" 1.0 release is that right now the love dev team can completely break backwards compat and simply move on to 0.11, 0.12, etc. If they switched over to a 1.0 release, then there would be less wiggle room to break APIs and we'd be seeing several generation of deprecation instead of API rewrites. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 could have new API calls but the old ones would need to stick around until 2.0 and I don't think love is quite ready for that sort of API commitment yet. There is still a lot of heavy development going on with massive changes to the API and until most of that is fully sorted, I would recommend against claiming stability.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

There is a roadmap you know

Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

josefnpat wrote:There is a roadmap you know

AWESOME !!! :awesome:
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Karai17 wrote:I don't think love is quite ready for that sort of API commitment yet. There is still a lot of heavy development going on with massive changes to the API and until most of that is fully sorted, I would recommend against claiming stability.
The only heavy development I see is in this new update, it brings loads of new stuff, changes a few things and removes some other stuff.
I also notices the theora video branch, that another big update but it's about the only one, I'm guessing the devs are hidding the future awesome sauce though.
josefnpat wrote:There is a roadmap you know

Nice graph, LÖVE is out of alpha so now all we need to do is to wait for HL3.(I knew LÖVE had a thing with valve)

EDIT:
Well, sh*t...

Check out my twitter.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Love can't become 1.0 until is has HTTPS and microphone support lol.