Upcoming features for LOVE 0.6.0

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Igmon
Prole

Re: Upcoming features for LOVE 0.6.0

Post by Igmon »

In regards to the x/y axis, that was mostly about where the positive directions lie for each one. As far as I remember: x positive goes from left to right, and y positive goes from top to bottom.

Other than that, I like the scaling factor, that should satisfy anyone with different preferences for unit of measurement. Thanks!
Tenoch
Citizen

Post by Tenoch »

Igmon wrote:In regards to the x/y axis, that was mostly about where the positive directions lie for each one. As far as I remember: x positive goes from left to right, and y positive goes from top to bottom.
Oh, right. Well no, there is no plan for such a conversion. And as they are, the axes correpond to LÖVE's coordinate system, so it's pretty handy.
"When in doubt, use brute force." Ken Thompson
SnakeFace
Prole

Post by SnakeFace »

Will this major rewrite not just majorly mess up all current games? D= oh noes!
Lovely quotes
somewhere within the jungle of administrative doom - rude
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Backwards compatibility was thrown out the window as soon as possible :P
Sslaxx
Citizen

Post by Sslaxx »

SnakeFace wrote:Will this major rewrite not just majorly mess up all current games? D= oh noes!
This is a pre-1.0 release, so things like API breakage are to be expected.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

I'm fairly sure 0.5.0 isn't very backwards compatible with 0.4.0...
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Actually, the difference wasn't too big, in 0.5 the biggest changes were things that were added, not changed. (for example love.physics IIRC)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I've been trying to make Jump Game forward compatible with LÖVE 0.6.0, but because 0.6.0 is not ready yet, is doing that quite hard.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Zorbatron
Citizen

Post by Zorbatron »

Tenoch wrote:
Igmon wrote:In regards to the x/y axis, that was mostly about where the positive directions lie for each one. As far as I remember: x positive goes from left to right, and y positive goes from top to bottom.
Oh, right. Well no, there is no plan for such a conversion. And as they are, the axes correpond to LÖVE's coordinate system, so it's pretty handy.
I never really understood why the physics system used something other then the pixel based coords...
Tenoch
Citizen

Post by Tenoch »

Actually I wonder if this sentence (and my previous one) make any sense at all. The physics sim doesn't have a direction for axes. It doesn't have a left or a right. It just crunches the numbers and *you* have to be consistent in what you feed it. *you* actually decide that positive x is to the right because it fits your drawing, and that gravity is toward positive y because it makes stuff fall "down"

And it doesn't know about pixels either. You can use Box2D to make simulations without visuals. That's why they decide that units are MKS (meters kilograms seconds) based, and well, you do what you want with that...
"When in doubt, use brute force." Ken Thompson