Memory Leak?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
FlashFire
Prole

Memory Leak?

Post by FlashFire »

So I'm working on a 2D mining game. My issue though is that every second the game takes up about .1-.2 more MB of data each second, even if the game is just sitting their doing nothing. I'm running Garbage Collector each frame to see if that would solve it, but it still increases.(Without Garbage Collector, it increases then drops down to a higher number then originally).

I can post the code, but it's about 3k lines.

I mostly wanted to know if it's my coding(And common mistakes that create this?), the LOVE2D engine, or Lua.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Memory Leak?

Post by Robin »

We don't know anything until you post your code (please do it as a .love, not as text inside a post).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

I can't imagine there being a garbage collection bug in luaJit like that, so I would guess you are allocating some "external resource" and not freeing it or keeping some lua tables around unwillingly.

Maybe you are inserting into a large local table but are accidentally cleaning up a global one so the elements accumulate (or the other way around)?

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
FlashFire
Prole

Post by FlashFire »

There is the link, It's long and probably hard to understand though. Also has a few bugs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76it2pddqsoza ... .love?dl=0
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

It's not an issue with Love.

The garbage is coming from the backpack.draw function. It looks like you keep adding buttons forever. I end up with about 2000 buttons in backpack.buttons.list in a few seconds. You need to remove them from the list as you add more. Comment it out on line 188 of main.lua to see for yourself.

This is the shortest possible (albeit less than ideal) fix:

Code: Select all

function backpack.draw()
    backpack.buttons.list = {}
	for x = 0,9 do
		if backpack.selectedId == x+1 then
			love.graphics.draw(images.hotBarBox,screenSize.X/2-272+(54*x),screenSize.Y-67,0,1,1)
		end
		love.graphics.draw(images.backpackBox,screenSize.X/2-270+(54*x),screenSize.Y-65,0,1,1)
		if backpack.hotBar[x+1].block ~= nil then
			local subSize = data.itemInfo[backpack.hotBar[x+1].block].size or Vector2.new(2,2)
			local subSize = math.max(subSize.X,subSize.Y)/2
			love.graphics.draw(images[backpack.hotBar[x+1].block],screenSize.X/2-267+(54*x),screenSize.Y-65+3,0,.46/subSize,.46/subSize)
		end
		backpack.buttons.addButton(Vector2.new(screenSize.X/2-276+(54*x),screenSize.Y-65+4,0),Vector2.new(.46*100,.46*100),{part = 'hotBar',index = x+1})
	end

if backpack.show then
		love.graphics.setColor(25,25,25,210)
		love.graphics.rectangle('fill',backpack.UIOFFSET.X-6,backpack.UIOFFSET.Y-6,backpack.UISIZE.X*108*10+12,backpack.UISIZE.Y*108*3+12)
		love.graphics.setColor(255,255,255)
		--love.graphics.draw(images.backpackBackground,screenSize.X/2-490,screenSize.Y/2-308)
		for x = 0,9 do
			for y = 0,2 do
				local size = backpack.UISIZE
				love.graphics.draw(images.backpackBox,backpack.UIOFFSET.X+(size.X*108*x),backpack.UIOFFSET.Y+(size.Y*108*y),0,2*size.X,2*size.Y)
				local index = x+1+(y*10)
				if backpack.items[index].block ~= nil then
					local subSize = data.itemInfo[backpack.items[index].block].size or Vector2.new(2,2)
					love.graphics.draw(images[backpack.items[index].block],backpack.UIOFFSET.X+4+(size.X*108*x),backpack.UIOFFSET.Y+4+(size.Y*108*y),0,backpack.UISIZE.X*.96/subSize,backpack.UISIZE.Y*.96/subSize)
					love.graphics.printf(backpack.items[index].amount,backpack.UIOFFSET.X+4+(size.X*108*x),backpack.UIOFFSET.Y+4+(size.Y*108*(y+1))-28,backpack.UISIZE.X*.96/subSize*100,'right')
				end
				backpack.buttons.addButton(Vector2.new(backpack.UIOFFSET.X+4+(size.X*108*x),backpack.UIOFFSET.Y+4+(size.Y*108*y)),Vector2.new(backpack.UISIZE.X*.96*100,backpack.UISIZE.Y*.96*100),{part = 'backpack',index = index})
				--love.graphics.draw(images.backpackBox,screenSize.X/2-490+24+(108*x),screenSize.Y/2-308+24+(108*y),0,2,2)
			end
		end
		if backpack.mouse.block ~= nil then
			local subSize = data.itemInfo[backpack.mouse.block].size or Vector2.new(2,2)
			love.graphics.draw(images[backpack.mouse.block],mouse.X,mouse.Y,0,backpack.UISIZE.X*.96/subSize,backpack.UISIZE.Y*.96/subSize)
		end
	end
end
Using this the memory usage stays at 5MB. I hope this was helpful.
Last edited by szensk on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I expect it's all the calls to addButton.
FlashFire
Prole

Post by FlashFire »

@szensk Thanks for the help, It would of taken me days to find that error... If I ever did find it.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

In my defence, szensk amended his reply after I posted... :neko: