What's your favorite type of 2D game?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

What's Your Favorite Type of 2D game?

Platformer
17%
Isometric (either 2D or 2.5D)
9%
Top Down
9%
Roguelike
13%
Action
13%
Adventure
12%
Role-Playing
13%
Strategy
9%
Horror
1%
Other: Specifiy?
4%

Total votes: 77

Zilarrezko
Party member

What's your favorite type of 2D game?

Post by Zilarrezko »

You can choose more than one options (and re-vote if you want!) But I would like to see one of the view styles (Platformer, Isometric, or Top Down), and choose a combination of approach, maybe you'd like an Isometric Action-Adventure game, in which case you would choose all 3 of those options.

This is completely out of curiosity. As a bonus it would be cool to see why you like that particular thing, or maybe something else you'd like to add.

I personally have liked Isometric Strategy games. I like the Isometric part because I find the worlds to be more appealing and interesting. I've always liked so play strategy games, because I like to manage a group or a city, or a town or in C&C to manage soldiers and bases. However I've always been terrible at them, and have not won a game in the most interesting ones. Some of the best ones, like red alert, Civilizations, C&C tiberian series (the old one), and even xcom, I am the worst at. I've never won a skirmish in red alert or C&C, Don't get me started on Civilizations or Total War, and I can't complete 2 missions in xcom without the soldiers from the first mission all dying.

But I would like to hear everyone else's piece of cake.
Last edited by Zilarrezko on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingdaro
Party member

Re: What's your favorite type of 2D game?

Post by Kingdaro »

I like actiony games, and platformers are cool too, but my favorite kind has to be Rhythm, if it counts as a type of 2D game. I don't like turn-based games or strategy games.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Can't really say what my 'favorite' genre is. Generally, it depends what mood I'm in.
The Civilization series are really good, although 4 and 5 are 3D actually.
The Sim City series are fun.
I really like the city building series based on Caesar 3, in particular Pharoh, Zeus and Emperor. There are plans for a medieval game in the series but the project is currently on hold.
Masters of Orion is pretty good.
The 2D Zeldas are classic of course.
In the indie scene, NightSky is cool.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

You misspelled my favourite type of game :D
When I write def I mean function.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

kikito wrote:You misspelled my favourite type of game :D
Uh-oh, which one is that? D'; Hate misspelling things, Makes me feel like I'm getting an F.
ivan wrote:Can't really say what my 'favorite' genre is. Generally, it depends what mood I'm in.
The Civilization series are really good, although 4 and 5 are 3D actually.
The Sim City series are fun.
I really like the city building series based on Caesar 3, in particular Pharoh, Zeus and Emperor. There are plans for a medieval game in the series but the project is currently on hold.
Masters of Orion is pretty good.
The 2D Zeldas are classic of course.
In the indie scene, NightSky is cool.
NightSky looks pretty cool! And I love a good city builder :D.
Kingdaro wrote:I like actiony games, and platformers are cool too, but my favorite kind has to be Rhythm, if it counts as a type of 2D game. I don't like turn-based games or strategy games.
Rhythm Games are awesome, they always seem to have some of the best of musics!
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Rogue is a game.

Rouge means "red" in French.

In English, rouge is a cosmetic powder used to redden the cheeks.

That's why there's a roguelike called POWDER. It's a joke because lots of people misspell roguelike. Powder happens to be one of my favourite roguelikes, it's the only game I play on my mobile (using a GBA emulator)
When I write def I mean function.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

kikito wrote:Rogue is a game.

Rouge means "red" in French.

In English, rouge is a cosmetic powder used to redden the cheeks.

That's why there's a roguelike called POWDER. It's a joke because lots of people misspell roguelike. Powder happens to be one of my favourite roguelikes, it's the only game I play on my mobile (using a GBA emulator)
Oops, I guess spelling it out doesn't work in this case haha. Thanks for the catch man.

I've only played a few roguelikes. Namely Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode, Cataclysm DDA, as well as a couple others I can not recall. Though I have put a good some hours into Dwarf Fortress.

I'll go ahead and change that spelling mistake if I can.

BTW. You do live in Madrid, and it might be a long shot. But do you know how to pronounce Zilarrezko properly? Cause I don't, and I'm taking a shot that you know Basque maybe. >.> <.<
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I personally like many games in many styles,

Isometric games like Chris Sawyer's simulation games (Transport and Rollercoaster Tycoons), and strategy games, like the mid-C&C series (Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge, though both used voxels for units iirc)
I'm not sure myself whether the first game, Tiberian Dawn, and Red Alert 1 was top-down or isometric, but those were awesome too; same with Ubisoft's The Settlers series, from which the second i liked the most (I still play Return to the roots and OpenTTD now and then)

Lastly, top-down (rpg?) game, chrono trigger and pokemon games, 1st through 3rd gen.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

Zilarrezko wrote: Oops, I guess spelling it out doesn't work in this case haha. Thanks for the catch man.

I've only played a few roguelikes. Namely Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode, Cataclysm DDA, as well as a couple others I can not recall. Though I have put a good some hours into Dwarf Fortress.

I'll go ahead and change that spelling mistake if I can.

BTW. You do live in Madrid, and it might be a long shot. But do you know how to pronounce Zilarrezko properly? Cause I don't, and I'm taking a shot that you know Basque maybe. >.> <.<
You can download a roguelike callled "Angband", I have played it a lot, on pc you have a game called "Teleglitch"" but I haven't played it myself because I'm a mac user.
And on iOS (I have no idea if it's on android) you have a game called "Zaga33" a fun game that gets harder the further you progress. :D
:awesome: Have a good day! :ultraglee:
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

I'm surprised no one has mention CaveStory, for me, it's the one of the best 2d action-platformer game ever. But yeah, I really like 2d action games and also love the roguelikes, I can't even say the amout of hours I have spend playing POWDER. There's also Pixel Dungeon for the android which I find it even better than POWDER (for me).