Full HD side-scrolling platformer with LÖVE. Is it possible?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
molul
Party member

Re: Full HD side-scrolling platformer with LÖVE. Is it possi

Post by molul »

(Mods, please remove this post)
Last edited by molul on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

As far as I've seen, Löve2D should handle what I try to achieve (Pygame could have as well, except for the full HD graphics). And now that I've met another programmer and a designer that have always wanted to do a project similar to what I want to do, I see my dream closer to come true. And just to make myself clear, I don't need the game to be famous. If I do this game as I see it in my head, I'll be more than satisfied :)

However, talking with my team we've decided to go for a 1280x720 resolution, as not all monitors are full HD yet, and plain HD is already a good resolution. So I guess I have a bit more room for my specs.

EDIT: I've just been told about another Lua-based framework called Moai, which is also capable of creating apps for Android and iOS. It's lower level than Löve, but it seems there's a high-level API for it called RapaNui, more similar to Löve2D. Have you tried it?
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

I've looked at it, but not tried it.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

I'm only interested on it because the iOS and Android thing. But Love2D's is still my choice because of its extreme simplicity, not to mention it's being ported to Android, so only iOS is Moai's advantage agains Love2D. Also, I just saw there's a Love2D wrapper project for Moai in progress, so I'll wait and see.

Anyway, being Love2D compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux and (more or less) Android, if my game ever succeeded, I could spend some time porting it to Moai.

Funny thing is that yesterday one of my partners sent me an email talking about Moai and the possibility to move to it, while at the same time I sent him an example made with Love2D in 2 hours. This morning we chatted and he said that example made him change his mind about Love2D. LOL
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I tested the Moai SDK. The programming logic is totally different from the Love2D approach. Moai is not well documented, there is no community and the samples are rudimentary. I only found a little shooter sample in thier wiki. But i can't find a well structured bigger project. Also the word "cloud" makes be suspicious ;-).

So i wont choose Moai at the current state. Maybe in 2years.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

SiENcE wrote:I tested the Moai SDK. The programming logic is totally different from the Love2D approach. Moai is not well documented, there is no community and the samples are rudimentary. I only found a little shooter sample in thier wiki. But i can't find a well structured bigger project. Also the word "cloud" makes be suspicious ;-).

So i wont choose Moai at the current state. Maybe in 2years.
I agree. I've spent the whole day looking for info, docs, tutorials, etc, and nothing. I wonder how they did the games they say they did in their home page (lol).

Löve2D FTW.
Mud
Citizen

Post by Mud »

SiENcE wrote:I tested the Moai SDK. The programming logic is totally different from the Love2D approach. Moai is not well documented, there is no community and the samples are rudimentary.
I'm currently trying to figure out Moai (I want iOS support), and it makes me miss LÖVE badly. In LÖVE, all my time was spent thinking about game logic. I had a working game up my first day. With Moai, I've spent an entire week just trying to figure out their freakin' particle engine API, and I still don't really get it.

Just putting a single image on the screen is 14 lines of code: create a window, create a viewport, set it's size, set it's scale, create a layer and add it to the viewport, push the layer to the sim as a rendering pass, create a MOIAGfxQuad2D and set it's texture and rect, create a "prop" and load the quad as it's "deck", set the prop's location and insert it into the layer. Bingo!

It's almost completely undocumented. There's a class reference, but most classes/methods don't have even a single line description. And you certainly can't rely on intuition. Want to draw a line? Create a MOAIScriptDeck. Want to do something every frame? Create a MOAICoroutine.

I'm slowing getting it, and hope to be able to abstract away some of the complexity -- but I wonder when I finally have an API as usable of LÖVE, how much of a performance hit I'll have taken writing a Lua layer on top of a Lua layer.

But... it works on my iPad 2, which roxxors, so there ya go.
molul wrote:the word "cloud" makes be suspicious ;-).
Their cloud service is totally different from and independent of their game engine. They're eventually going to charge for the cloud service, but the engine will remain open source and free.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Mud wrote:
SiENcE wrote:I'm slowing getting it, and hope to be able to abstract away some of the complexity
Maybe you can help me writing a wrapper for love2d api to moai.

-> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7821