ABC Music Notation and how bad it sounds

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Inny
Party member

ABC Music Notation and how bad it sounds

Post by Inny »

I was testing how libmodplug plays the ABC music format and decided it's a veritable nightmare under my setup. Can a few other people give this a shot and tell me if it's terrible or if it's torture? If you're getting anything other than really bad sine and square waves, let me know what your setup is that's giving you good results.
Attachments
testingabc.love
prepare for a headache
(110.24 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
davisdude
Party member

Re: ABC Music Notation and how bad it sounds

Post by davisdude »

Works fine with me. This may not be much help, but I use whatever Windows 8 comes with.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

sounds wonderful
im using windows 7
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Sounds... kind of bad I guess, on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04).

It would probably be more of use if everyone recorded how it sounds.

(There is a lot of noise from my computer, and those clacking sounds are from me typing, so disregard that.)
Attachments
abcnoise.zip
(298.39 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

It's what I thought. For mimicking a more antiquated style to games (like 286 era PC gaming) it *might* be acceptable, but it seems mostly irritating without any kind of modern filter on top of it.

When does love2d get support for sunvox files? :D
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah. Everyone should record what it sounds like for them. Upload an MP3 or video or link to an otherwise online-based host that can host audio.

I don't even know what it's supposed to sound like so I can't tell if it sounds bad or not here. I'm on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite Public Beta 2) and made a YouTube video of it...

Is that how it's supposed to sound? If so, then it works.

Edit: It kind of sounds like Robin's but since his is a recording from a microphone instead of direct computer audio recording I can't tell. But it does have the same sound to it. Robin, do you not have access to software to record the audio directly from the computer? (I know on my system I actually need a separate driver called SoundFlower to capture it.)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:Edit: It kind of sounds like Robin's but since his is a recording from a microphone instead of direct computer audio recording I can't tell.
It sounds kind of the same, but kind of more "pinchy" on your thing.

I tried capturing output directly instead of recording from my mike, but it doesn't seem to want to do that. I'll research it a bit more because it'd be quite nice to have, regardless of the ABC format thing.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Jasoco wrote:(I know on my system I actually need a separate driver called SoundFlower to capture it.)
What do you use to record your screen with? I use ScreenFlow on OS X 10.8.5 and that records audio without SoundFlower.

Btw, it sounds just like yours on my machine as well.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

DaedalusYoung wrote:
Jasoco wrote:(I know on my system I actually need a separate driver called SoundFlower to capture it.)
What do you use to record your screen with? I use ScreenFlow on OS X 10.8.5 and that records audio without SoundFlower.

Btw, it sounds just like yours on my machine as well.
ScreenFlow for me too. I use SoundFlower because it told me it requires it to record computer audio. I never really tried it without the SoundFlower because every time an update happens it tells me I need to update SoundFlower for audio capture. But upon closer inspection it seems to not be the case. Apparently SoundFlower is disabled right now (Set to Internal Speaker instead) and changing it to SoundFlower stops audio completely. So why make me install it, ScreenFlow? What's it for? Why are you lying to me, ScreenFlow? Hmmm. That's a weird predicament.

Anyway. We've established it sounds the same on OS X and supposedly on Linux. So anyone with Windows want to try? Wait.. I have Windows...

Edit: Yep. Sounds exactly the same on Windows 7 for me. Exactly the same. No difference at all.

Edit 2: I cannot listen to Teddy Bear's Picnic without thinking of Banjo Kazooie. It's impossible.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Hm, now you mention it, I remember ScreenFlow needed me to install something to be able to record computer audio as well, could've been SoundFlower (which I do have installed). It's possible it uses it internally to channel the audio.

Audio stopping when you set output to SoundFlower is normal, it acts like an internal patch panel. You can route audio through to other applications with it, rather than just straight to the output. I've used it to record audio from an application in Audacity.