Global Game Jam

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Global Game Jam

Post by TechnoCat »

Jack5500 wrote:For Hamburg, Germany it's 10€ fee! Da fuck?
It is $50 here in Chicago. :x
Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to go.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

I could probably go, thing is, I'm so bad with coming up with an idea, so I'd go there, and then I wouldn't be able to figure out what game I would make, and then it'd just be a waste of time.

:x
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I've just inscribed myself in the Madrid one.
When I write def I mean function.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Mine has no entry fee and is providing free breakfast, lunch, and possibly dinner. Take that! :P
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

My application was rejected :(

Apparently there are only 40 seats and 100 people applied.

What a shame. I really wanted to go to this event, since I missed the LD. I had cleared the weekend with my girlfriend and everything.
thelinx wrote:I could probably go, thing is, I'm so bad with coming up with an idea, so I'd go there, and then I wouldn't be able to figure out what game I would make, and then it'd just be a waste of time.

:x
Apparently there is a theme, a main constraint and several "optional secondary constraints". I find coming up with an idea is easier with constraints. Besides, is a team thing - you might delegate the "coming up with an idea" part to the other members of the team.
hagish
Citizen

Post by hagish »

I participate in munich/germany. No fee, free food and drinks. I think there registered about 70 people ( http://ggjmuc.de ).
Last edited by hagish on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

I signed up, but am still hesitant about going. Both of my CS classes are during that time on Friday (UDT-6), and I'm unsure whether I want to be missing that stuff.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

It has started, apparently. Does anyone know the theme and rules for this one? I can't see my town's stream.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

The theme should remain secret for another few hours because the jam starts 5pm local time, which is different for each location. For example, New Zealand is about 12 hours in, while Hawaii didn't even start yet.

As for rules: There are basically none. Except that you have to stick to the theme somehow and you have to obey the law (i.e. copyright).
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

kikito wrote:Apparently there are only 40 seats and 100 people applied
Spain since Spectrum times (Dinamic, Topo, Opera...) have a lot of game making tradition. So seems got some odd misfortune in this year event organization. 40 (48 listed) seats for an event in a big capital/city seems very limited. In other hand Barcelona have 2 events that together don't even reach Madrid total inscription number. A paid event have only 9 inscriptions and the free one with 19. Well, you still have time to offer some flowers and take your girlfriend for a nice week-end instead.
vrld wrote:The theme should remain secret for another few hours because the jam starts 5pm local time, which is different for each location.
Well knowing the theme could give some ideas or resource-gathering before the start but that could be avoid if themes were random selected from a short list for each city or country. But anyway since there aren't really real competition or prizes let it be...

So good luck for lovers in this year event.