What code editor do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
coffee
Party member

Re: What code editor do you use ?

Post by coffee »

OSX here, trying to fully working in Sublime Text 2. But sometimes I end up working in Fraise 'cause of nice search/replace there and more acessible function list.
Nixola wrote:Is there a way to compile Notepad++ on Linux, without using wine?
Notepad++ is also a nice program at least for html/css use. I'm afraid that is very Win dependent to compile successfully in other OS's. Besides WINE (or Wine Bottles), probably the only other good way to use it is install VirtualBox, Win and use seamless mode.

A sticky Editor thread with each OS editors alternatives for new comers would be nice.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

coffee wrote:OSX here, trying to fully working in Sublime Text 2. But sometimes I end up working in Fraise 'cause of nice search/replace there and more acessible function list.
Try cmd+r in Sublime (ctrl+r for Windows/Linuxers) to jump through functions in a file.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

thelinx wrote:
coffee wrote:OSX here, trying to fully working in Sublime Text 2. But sometimes I end up working in Fraise 'cause of nice search/replace there and more acessible function list.
Try cmd+r in Sublime (ctrl+r for Windows/Linuxers) to jump through functions in a file.
Thank you thelinx, but isn't really for don't know how to call it (although my mind is allready overloaded of shortcuts). I prefer the function list in Fraise because it's more mindless click and forget since it have a dedicated button. And also it gives line number and selection list is larger and I don't have to scroll up/down so much as in ST2. So, even spite I like working in ST2 I end up working some time in Fraise when I need to jump very often between places or replace things.
1.png
2.png
xefhs
Prole

Post by xefhs »

Thanks everyone for responding,

I've tried Sublime Text, it's a really nice soft, anyone know if he can show parameters when you call a function ?
Sorry about my English, I'm French.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

SciTE. You can just edit with highlights and press F5 to execute with love. Didn't get that to work on other editors.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Ellohir wrote:SciTE. You can just edit with highlights and press F5 to execute with love. Didn't get that to work on other editors.
Did you try N++? I've never had any problems with the "Run in Love" functionality.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

I use N++ and the command line to test my games instead of from within the editor. It's just my most comfortable way of doing things.
lots_of_birds
Prole

Post by lots_of_birds »

I use emacs, the yasnipet extension customised for programming in lua with love.
It works like a charm. I compile and run my code by pressing F8 and going through the errors by pressing F7.
To type "module(..., package.seeall);", I only type "module" then TAB.

I love working with emacs, but I pretty sure the learning curve (who said wall), does not have to be.
I'd love to work on a beginner-friendly version of emacs.
forestwolf42
Prole

Post by forestwolf42 »

Ellohir wrote:SciTE. You can just edit with highlights and press F5 to execute with love. Didn't get that to work on other editors.
I've also been using SciTE, just because jEDIT seeemed confusing and heavy and SciTE is came in the software center, I had no idea you could make it run with F5 that way, and I feel slightly foolish now.

What I've been doing is using F12 to open a guake terminal and running the program from there.