Protecting Source?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gerrit
Prole

Re: Protecting Source?

Post by Gerrit »

osgeld wrote:i thought luac would leave the source script in the comments
Nope. Did some tests and there are just some words flying around if you open it up with a hex editor. I compiled my (short) joystick script and the things left were the third line (with my name and email, thanks by the way :)) and some words flying aroung like "love............graphics..............joystick". Nothing harmfull. The only exception would be that it contained the directory where the script was as I compiled it. But who cares..
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

just for giggles grab a decompiler for lua and see what it outputs

(or ill do it when i get home in a couple hours)
Gerrit
Prole

Post by Gerrit »

osgeld wrote:just for giggles grab a decompiler for lua and see what it outputs

(or ill do it when i get home in a couple hours)
Found some, most are for Lua 4.0 or 5.0.2. The one that should work is only available as Source for Windows and I'm not going to set up MVCP++ in a VM just for giggles ;) If you can provide me a link to a decompiler for 5.1 or a compiled version of the one I'm talking of I would be happy. But it looks like it really outputs nice lua source..

http://luadec51.luaforge.net/index.html
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

yea, i thought there was more progress in 5.1 than that, ive used luadec on 5.0 projects and it does spit out pretty easily read scripts (altho it might not be perfect)

there is a command line option for luac (i think its -c , for "clean") but you better have your code 110% bug free cause if it errors it has nothing to tell you, altho it have never really tried it so millage may vary
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

Theres a World of Warcraft add-on that had tried to encrypt their source code, They couldnt use byte-code though because World of Warcraft didn't support it.
Even though they did a good job of encrypting it ( It wasn't totally human readable ), it wasnt enough. German hackers had made some clever algorithm to go through the entire scripts and remove the encryption leaving the source editable and readable.

The add-on is Carbonite if anyone was wondering :)
Gerrit
Prole

Post by Gerrit »

mikembley wrote:The add-on is Carbonite if anyone was wondering :)
Ah, stumbled across carbonite yesterday as I searched for a decompiler.
mikembley wrote: German hackers had made some clever algorithm to go through the entire scripts and remove the encryption leaving the source editable and readable.
Hehe, German hackers :) Wish I would have such knowledge..
Sparx
Party member

Post by Sparx »

To come back to the topic:
I am programming a multiplayer game.. progress is going on very good so far. I'm not worried about people beeing able to just make a similar one(I would love to see some), I'm woried about guys understanding the client-server communication of it to cheat or something, since (to be honest) it's a non-authoratative server(till yet).
I need to cloak client-server communication as much as possible. I think having "closed-source" is a start(will provide trustable löve-programmers with code if wanted).

Are there any ways doing this?
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

With Love? No, not really. Although you could obfuscate the code as much as possible, it's not really a security measure so much as a mild annoyance. Rest assured: anyone wanting to cheat at your game will figure out how.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

True, I proved that with the highscores script. As one of the other friendly species would say: "Resistance is futile"
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

If people don't have the source, they can simply use a packet sniffing app to figure out the protocol anyway.
Most packet sniffers are free, although there are a few commercial ones.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!