Gravity and Terminal Velocity

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Matkins
Citizen

Gravity and Terminal Velocity

Post by Matkins »

I am trying to increase the speed at which things fall. I thought that setting higher gravity would do this, but there seems to be a limit to how fast things can fall which isn't very fast, and setting higher gravity just makes the object reach this maximum speed quicker. So how do i increase the Terminal Velocity so that my falling objects will accelerate for longer and reach a faster speed?

Many thanks.
appleide
Party member

Re: Gravity and Terminal Velocity

Post by appleide »

Maybe reducing friction could work.
Matkins
Citizen

Post by Matkins »

I've already got friction set to 0.
Is there such thing as air resistance in the engine?
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

No, no such thing as air friction from what I can tell... the only way I got anything to fall faster was to change my worldVariableName:update(dt) under the update function to: worldVariableName:update(dt * x) where x was a number. Anything over 5 was ludicrously fast, though. Might work for what you're doing?
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Box2d limitation. Rescale your objects. Please search the forum regarding this topic or see the CAMERA thread for a summary.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.