Jail/Sandbox

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
hdon
Prole

Re: Jail/Sandbox

Post by hdon »

bartbes wrote:Why does it all have to be for money? I love LÖVE the way it is, as a way for hobby programmers to create the games they want to create, no money involved.
Ah, well, I've been unemployed for six months, so, you'll have to forgive the moneyed (or undermoneyed) slant!

It's worth noting that the gaming industry and casual gaming in particular are emerging from the rubble of the depression (or "global economic downtown" if you happen to be on TV or radio) as a big victor. If you wanted to dedicate more time to LOVE and maybe release 1.0 earlier than "just before the next big bang," the capital might be available for you to do it.

Anyhow it can still be for hobby programmers. Personally I am a little tired of the inability of most people to perceive a confluence between free (as in freedom and beer) and for-profit endeavors. This is one time you can have your cake and eat it, too!
bartbes wrote:Second, I think the 'virtual meeting place' is a nice idea, but I doubt it should be part of an engine. And, most important, I don't think it's time for that yet, we should wait for the 1.0 release, which is planned just before the next big bang.
I'm not sure in what spirit you mean this. Do you mean VMP should not be part of the LOVE download? Or do you mean it should be technologically separate from the engine? If you meant the latter, of course! Why wouldn't I agree with you 100%?!!

I can see no compelling reason for VMP to be "special" in any way from any other LOVE app, except that it might be in the best interest of the community for the LOVE platform developers to endorse such a content delivery system, and include it in the LOVE download. It would run on top of the LOVE platform just like everything else!
J-Reed
Prole

Post by J-Reed »

Hello. I'm working on a program (not a game) which is built on LÖVE. It will be absolutely necessary to access and execute files and binaries outside the game and save folders regardless of whether the love file is fused or not. Was considering use of os.execute and io.popen, but had no idea os and io were going away until I found this topic.

Assuming that's still the case... Is it also still planned to have an “unsafe” command-line option for enabling those libraries? Also, I'm guessing Android version wouldn't be able at all?

Or, if the future regarding that is somewhat uncertain/unknown, that's cool too. I realize the primary purpose of LÖVE is for games and completely understand the security reasoning for their removal. I also have a workaround, but just thought I'd ask to see what my options are.

Thanks.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

You... do realize this is a 10 year old topic... right?
In any case, nothing's going away, so you shouldn't be concerned; i know i'm not, even though i'm also writing some non-game apps with löve.

Hey bartbes/slime, how about i go over all threads again and make a dandy list of those that should be locked to prevent such issues in the future? :crazy:
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
J-Reed
Prole

Post by J-Reed »

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, zorg. Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.