Any plans to make a built-in GUI api?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
mike
Administrator

Re: Any plans to make a built-in GUI api?

Post by mike »

Xcmd wrote:mainDialog = love.gui.newDialog(x,y,w,h)
mainDialogButton = mainDialog:newButton(x,y,w,h)
Oh, you have no idea what kind of awesome system I built. I made an automater for lazy people who just wanted something to work. You create a menu, set it as using a vertical layout with center alignment and whenever you added buttons or labels or images it would automatically be placed below the existing content and aligned to the center. It was very easy to create fancy looking menus.

However, the work that people have done on GUI libraries is hard to deny. LÖVE does feature a ParticleSystem, which can be argued as being something that the proles can make for themselves so why not a built-in GUI? Because rude said so, damnit.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Blart
Prole

Post by Blart »

mike wrote:Ah, the built-in GUI. I remember spending a lot of time struggling with GuiChan only to end up scrapping the whole thing as people were making their own libraries. I think that people should try to work together more when it comes to all these fancy libraries that they build, but that's just me...
I suppose it might make things easier if one of the existing libraries like Leif is included with Löve, though there are probably some logistics problems that I'm not aware of.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

mike wrote:
Xcmd wrote:mainDialog = love.gui.newDialog(x,y,w,h)
mainDialogButton = mainDialog:newButton(x,y,w,h)
Oh, you have no idea what kind of awesome system I built. I made an automater for lazy people who just wanted something to work. You create a menu, set it as using a vertical layout with center alignment and whenever you added buttons or labels or images it would automatically be placed below the existing content and aligned to the center. It was very easy to create fancy looking menus.

However, the work that people have done on GUI libraries is hard to deny. LÖVE does feature a ParticleSystem, which can be argued as being something that the proles can make for themselves so why not a built-in GUI? Because rude said so, damnit.
But... but I want my lazy. Undo, rude! Undo! It's not too late!
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!