LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Vote for the Best Game!

Legend of Bartbes
5
18%
Lovely Space Program
2
7%
SpaceHeist
3
11%
Dimensionaut
14
50%
AsterVoid
4
14%
 
Total votes: 28

User avatar
DaedalusYoung
Party member
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Jeeper wrote: wtf, anyone else not able to start my game? :(... This is kind of sad.
Yeah, I don't know what's going on there, somehow it really drains my system. I don't support Canvas or PixelEffect, so maybe you have a workaround system for that, that uses images instead?
User avatar
Jeeper
Party member
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:11 pm
Contact:

Re: LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

Post by Jeeper »

DaedalusYoung wrote:
Jeeper wrote: wtf, anyone else not able to start my game? :(... This is kind of sad.
Yeah, I don't know what's going on there, somehow it really drains my system. I don't support Canvas or PixelEffect, so maybe you have a workaround system for that, that uses images instead?
I do use a pixel filter in order to make the images more sharp. You could try to comment it out,

Line 100 in Main.lua.
User avatar
DaedalusYoung
Party member
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Nope, that's not it. Although I do think you don't need to call that every frame, just once during initialization should be fine.

The problem is in map.lua. If I comment out all the functions in there, it works fine. I guess it's because you're drawing 25 images sized 2000x2000 every frame. I don't know if you're scaling this down, but if not, this is not necessary, with the window just 1280x720 in size, you won't see more than 4 images at once. You could optimize that to only draw the images that are actually visible.
User avatar
Jeeper
Party member
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:11 pm
Contact:

Re: LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

Post by Jeeper »

DaedalusYoung wrote:Nope, that's not it. Although I do think you don't need to call that every frame, just once during initialization should be fine.

The problem is in map.lua. If I comment out all the functions in there, it works fine. I guess it's because you're drawing 25 images sized 2000x2000 every frame. I don't know if you're scaling this down, but if not, this is not necessary, with the window just 1280x720 in size, you won't see more than 4 images at once. You could optimize that to only draw the images that are actually visible.
Yeah, I ran out of time, but now you can at least test my game as the backgrounds are not "essential".
User avatar
Davidobot
Party member
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:18 am
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

Post by Davidobot »

Jeeper wrote:Here's my input on the games.

Lovely Space Program
I liked this a lot. It was fun to be able to build ur on stuff and I killed a lot of time trying to go up to 10.000 and then down and try to land. Nice use of box2d and only a few minor bugs. In my opionion the best entry.
Thank you for your kind words! I might expand the game later on. As for my input thing, I will do that in a day or two.
My projects: Raycaster, love.js v11.3 port
itch page: link
My website: link
My library: LovelyMoon
User avatar
DaedalusYoung
Party member
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Jeeper wrote:Yeah, I ran out of time, but now you can at least test my game as the backgrounds are not "essential".
Indeed, I've been able to play it now.

I like it, it's a good idea, however I'm not too sure about the controls. That's mainly me though, I've never liked WASD + mouse, but it's also that they don't change with the ship's direction. I would think W would always move towards the space ship's front. Once I found that out, I could just hold S and collect enemies above me, and just shoot them as I moved. But still, for the limited development time, it's very playable.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests