Engine talk stuff

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Eamonn
Party member

Re: Engine talk stuff

Post by Eamonn »

So THIS is where the other part of you're thread went!

-----

I'm looking into tweens... so my next project might have some tweening effects in it! :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

jjmafiae wrote:im always in lua mood
A language is a tool. A good programmer has a full toolkit. You're young, you have time to learn other languages. But don't be proud of your ignorance. You shouldn't be proud of knowing only one letter of the alphabet.

Just do me a favour and don't learn PHP.

Also, Eamonn, a Python LÖVE port is not going to happen, because the philosophy of LÖVE leans heavily on the philosophy of Lua. Now, a successor for PyGame that is inspired by LÖVE, but is not a clone but based on Python idioms and culture, that is something I'd like to see. And use. I love Python. Basically 90% of my non-LÖVE hobby programming I do in Python. Something like that, I might choose Python a lot more often in the future for games.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Robin wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:im always in lua mood
A language is a tool. A good programmer has a full toolkit. You're young, you have time to learn other languages. But don't be proud of your ignorance. You shouldn't be proud of knowing only one letter of the alphabet.

Just do me a favour and don't learn PHP.

Also, Eamonn, a Python LÖVE port is not going to happen, because the philosophy of LÖVE leans heavily on the philosophy of Lua. Now, a successor for PyGame that is inspired by LÖVE, but is not a clone but based on Python idioms and culture, that is something I'd like to see. And use. I love Python. Basically 90% of my non-LÖVE hobby programming I do in Python. Something like that, I might choose Python a lot more often in the future for games.
i am learning a bit PHP :3
i have a book of how you learn PHP in danish :3
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

If you switch languages so often you`ll end up knowning nothing.C#,Java are very big languages so if you are switching them so often you wont learn any of these.Right now i am working on my project and i got some big problems when i was trying to draw a BACKGROUND i got serious performance issues , LOL,but in rest love seems ok.I might change in future lua/love2d just because of its performance.

Note:I know i need to smart code BUT this cant be my 1st focus when i am making a game.So i better switch to something harder but i wont worry about perfromance.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Murii wrote:If you switch languages so often you`ll end up knowning nothing.C#,Java are very big languages so if you are switching them so often you wont learn any of these.Right now i am working on my project and i got some big problems when i was trying to draw a BACKGROUND i got serious performance issues , LOL,but in rest love seems ok.I might change in future lua/love2d just because of its performance.

Note:I know i need to smart code BUT this cant be my 1st focus when i am making a game.So i better switch to something harder but i wont worry about perfromance.
i feel like keep using lua for 5 years more or even more, i see no problems with lua
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Sorry Robin... you're too late. I learned PHP a few months back :O Not fully, but a little. It's too bad about the Python-LÖVE port. It could have been the ultimate Python Game Framework. Also, I believe you learn more from switching from language to language. I can't name anything off hand, but I learned a little more of one language by learning another. It improves your programming skill IMO. Maybe that isn't true but it's what I think :| I love programming... like a LOT...
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:Sorry Robin... you're too late. I learned PHP a few months back :O Not fully, but a little. It's too bad about the Python-LÖVE port. It could have been the ultimate Python Game Framework. Also, I believe you learn more from switching from language to language. I can't name anything off hand, but I learned a little more of one language by learning another. It improves your programming skill IMO. Maybe that isn't true but it's what I think :| I love programming... like a LOT...
i have tried other langues: PHP, html ,visual basic 2008 and minor java
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Different languages make you code in different ways. By learning multiple languages, you also expand your mind and realize new ways to do things. A good programmer is the one that uses the right tool for the right job, and having more tools certainly help.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

T-Bone wrote:Different languages make you code in different ways. By learning multiple languages, you also expand your mind and realize new ways to do things. A good programmer is the one that uses the right tool for the right job, and having more tools certainly help.
Exactly! :) Using LÖVE spoiled me with a lot of easy stuff, but if I made a game in PyGame, I'd have to do more checking for key presses, create DT and function calling intervals myself, etc. So then I'll have gained a deeper understanding of DT and key presses.

Use different API's. Branch out. Variety is the spice of life. ;)
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i just need to learn this langue first, i can do a alot of stuff in lua but alot of the langue is unknown to me :crazy:

im starting to read lua first edition, most of what i know right now is things i have learned myself :crazy: